Rattlesnake Training

gspkimber

Rattlesnake Training

Post by gspkimber » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 pm

What is the best way to start training your dog about snakes? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Rattlesnake Training

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 am

With a live Rattle snake that has been milked and defanged

I highly recommend that you leave the rattle snake handling to those that have experience

hen let the dog learn that that snake hurts when allowed to smell and approach it ...the best is that the dog gets lit up like a christmas tree and that the whole experience is related entirely to the rattlesnake scent and sight and hopefully the snake will rattle also so the dog relates the sound it also

then you get out of the area walk around then come from the upwind side trying to get the snake to rattle if it isn't already

then walk off then walk back down wind again across the scent cone at this point the dog should want absolutely nothing with the snake and should be back peddling to get away from it

but again I will stress best to let someone that has experience with rattlesnakes to do this

and bull snakes are not a good substitute for this
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:07 pm

There are several dog clubs who conduct snake avoidance training. For instance, the Lone Star GSP club is having a training day Aug.1 in the Dallas area. I will be glad to post directions if anyone is interested.

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:29 pm

sometimes there is information posted on you state wildlife dept website.

local dog clubs put them on.

quail unlimited also puts them on.

some trainers do it as well.

IMO, it is wise to have it done every year.