Puppy won't let go of his dummy

dex

Puppy won't let go of his dummy

Post by dex » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:26 pm

I need some help with my new puppy. I will admit I am new to all this even though I trained, with help from many kind knowledgable people, a springer about ten years ago. I have a new pup, and I am stuck with what to do when he brings a dummy back to me. He is only nine weeks old. I throw a small dummy down the hallway and I let him chase after it. He is really good about running it down quickly and bringing it back to me, but when he gets to me he holds on to the dummy for dear life. I don't want to tug it out of his mouth for fear he will start thinking the tug is part of the game. At this point I have beem prying his mouth open with my fingers, but it seems like there has to be a beter way to get him to willingly give me the dummy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy won't let go of his dummy

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Let him hold it while you pet and make over him. If he drops it I put it back in their mouth and make them hold for a short period and then ask fotr the bird. If they still won't give it up lift the puppy gently by the flank. Once he gives it up praise the devil out of him and do it again if you feel he is still enthused. Just don't get into a tugging match and don't get in a hurry to get it from the pup. Like everything else take your time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I like to give the command "Give" then push the object slightly into their mouth while blowing in their nose... Pretty soon they get the message and open easily
KN

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:15 am

I agree with let him hold it as long as he wants at 9 weeks. If you want him to give it up, gently squeeze his back just in front of his hind legs. He will quickly let go of the bumper. My 5 mo. old is trained to release when I place my hand under her jaw. She almost always releases, but if she doesn't, all I have to do is roll her lower lips up onto her lower teeth and she lets go. This alows me to accept the object with one hand.

dex

Post by dex » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried blowing in his nose with some success. Before, he was holding onto it with all of his might. When I would pry his jaw open he only tried to bite down even harder. As soon as I got the dummy out, he would snap at it again and since I was in a bad position, he would usually get my hand. Its getting much better now. Again, thanks.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 pm

letting a dog hold a dummy when he doesnt want to give it in the first place can start a bigger problem of not wanting to give it up later in life and become possesive of the bird. not all dogs are like that but it can pop up if you let him think it is his. you need to get the dummy out as fast as you can from him and throw him another retreive, etc... so he thinks the retrieve is the reward and NOT the object or he may become even more possesive as he gets older. just keep prying his mouth open and take it out of his mouth and toss another one. sooner or later he will get the idea he likes fetching more than the object.