1yr Golden wont stop running

RUSTY_21

1yr Golden wont stop running

Post by RUSTY_21 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:48 pm

I have a one year old golden retriever that runs every time he gets in the front yard when I am not home. He has one duck season under him and did great with handling, marked, and blind retrieves. I work with him every day for one hour to keep him sharp and to reinforce previous and new training and he no longer needs the shock collar during training sessions. The problem is whenever he gets in the front yard when I am not home, like today when the ups man came and he ran thru my sister’s legs and got out. He will not listen to vocal commands such as come, heel, sit, or whistle commands its just head down and full speed ahead. I have tried training in the front yard, running drills, and even putting the shock collar on him and sitting in the house with him in the front yard and watching to see what he does, and when I do, he does nothing!!!! He is perfect.

I have ran out of ideas on how to break this bad habit of his, one day he's going to get hit when he runs across the road and I’m not there to call him back.

Any advice or training drills would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A frustrated and out of idea's Rusty.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: 1yr Golden wont stop running

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 pm

I would keep the collar on him all the time for a month or more. Basically until he tries with it on. Every time he is out of the crate on goes the collar. His problem is he is collar wise. You may never get it completely better, but he needs to "forget" that he gets to have it off. Only thing I would remind you is that they can rub a sore in the neck when on all the time, so take it off at night or when he is in the crate. My lab still bolts when she thinks she can get away with it with no ecollar on, and an invisible fence is what finally stopped her.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 am

He is collar wise and only respects you not all that unusual my dogs dont mind my wife and kids like they do me

either teach your sister how to use the collar and set him up for the "lesson" or put the dog in a kennel in your yard while you are away at work

Dogs can love you and not respect you they only mind people they respect and he obviously doesn't respect your sister
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:46 pm

HERE is probaly the most important command any dog learns. Someday it will save most dogs lives. De-bolt the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Close the door.
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm

keep the collar on him in all situations like this until he gets a bit older and through this "stage" he is in so he doesnt learn he can misbehave with the collar off.
sometimes it is easier to prevent bad behaviour than it is to correct it.