Dog treats...What do you guys use?

gspkimber

Dog treats...What do you guys use?

Post by gspkimber » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Let me know, just curious...

Will

Re: Dog treats...What do you guys use?

Post by Will » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

I use them sparingly with puppies....its amazing what a lil chunk of hot dog can accomplish. I don't use them for dogs at all. My feelings are that our dogs should be carrying out requests or commands because we have asked....not because they will get a treat.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I cook up venison treats.

2 cups flour
2 cup corn meal
1 cup wheat germ
1-2 cup ground cooked venison (I use 2lbs, so I think thats 2 cups)
1 cup vegatable oil
2 eggs
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp salt

Roll it out, cut, bake. There's instructions on the net somewhere. I usually dry them out for a bit in the oven on low heat after they're baked so they get more crunchy. Not a great cook, so I dont know how to fix the crispy'ness. Less meat probably. Anyway, our dogs love them and they're economical, probably even healthy?

Brad

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:28 pm

bpenn1980 wrote:I cook up venison treats
My dad's wife cooks up a casserole dish that his dog likes an awful lot,, I'll see if I can't get the recipe.

I got to go with the oscar meyer weiner thing though,,,, but I think we determined they can cause somekind of sickness,,, can't remember wasn't paying very much attention when we got to that point in the thread,,,, but just on the safe side I think the vote was for turkey franks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:35 pm

If they can I don't think they would be on the market. Too many little kids plus some of us older one eat way too many hotdogs right out of the package. If I use them for a treat which is next to never unless I am getting a dog ready for the showring, I eat as much as the dog gets as that is the easiest place to carry a small peice to use for bait. And I have never heard of anyone getting sick on a precooked hotdog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:39 am

My dad's wife cooks up a casserole dish that his dog likes an awful lot,, I'll see if I can't get the recipe.
Holy schmolies, remember when Copper was so ill she wouldn't even eat that favorite casserole?? Thought for sure she was gonna need to get her affairs in order that time...I'm not a dog scientist per se but seems to me when a dog won't eat it's favorite casserole, that's darn serious! :roll: :lol:

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:42 am

In the United States, an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill with listeriosis each year. Of these, 500 die. At increased risk are:

Pregnant women - They are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis. About one-third of listeriosis cases happen during pregnancy.
Newborns - Newborns rather than the pregnant women themselves suffer the serious effects of infection in pregnancy.
Persons with weakened immune systems
Persons with cancer, diabetes, or kidney disease
Persons with AIDS - They are almost 300 times more likely to get listeriosis than people with normal immune systems.
Persons who take glucocorticosteroid medications
The elderly Like Ezzy :wink:
Healthy adults and children occasionally get infected with Listeria, but they rarely become seriously ill. They just feel like crap.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:22 am

I mostly use praise, but I use the Natural Balance treat rolls when I do use food.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:51 am

gspkimber wrote:Let me know, just curious...
treats just because or treats to train

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 pm

For general training we use Old Mother Hubbard dog biscuits because they break up into nice small chunks without turning into crumbs. Originally, we used Iams Puppy Biscuits, but since the last 2 boxes we bought (from 2 different stores!) were infested with bugs, we said bye-bye Iams. Zio seems to enjoy the OMH's every bit as much as he did the Iams, so no loss there.

Meanwhile, during obedience we use "special" treats: cooked Jennie-O Turkey Hot Dogs cut up into very small "tastes". We used to buy the economy package of chicken hotdogs from the supermarket, but Zio always seemed so thirsty after training that I had to take another look at the ingredients. The amount of sodium (salt) in them was crazy! So, after some searching I came up with the Jennie-O's that are much lower in sodium. Pretty cheap, too.

Just my $0.02's worth,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:29 pm

bobman wrote:In the United States, an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill with listeriosis each year. Of these, 500 die. At increased risk are:

Pregnant women - They are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis. About one-third of listeriosis cases happen during pregnancy.
Newborns - Newborns rather than the pregnant women themselves suffer the serious effects of infection in pregnancy.
Persons with weakened immune systems
Persons with cancer, diabetes, or kidney disease
Persons with AIDS - They are almost 300 times more likely to get listeriosis than people with normal immune systems.
Persons who take glucocorticosteroid medications
The elderly Like Ezzy :wink:
Healthy adults and children occasionally get infected with Listeria, but they rarely become seriously ill. They just feel like crap.

This isn't convincing enough for me to stop giving my pup (nor my kids) one of their favorite treats.

With only 2500 diagnosed TOTAL cases annually, (1 in 5 of those being fatal). :roll:
I'd say that the millions of kids and dogs that eat hot dogs straight from the package are more likely to be struck by lightning, while getting ran over by a garbage truck, crossing the train tracks... :|

Sounds to me like a sales pitch for more the more expensive, less effective dog treats.

Just my personal opinion...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I don't give anything other than good dog food. I don't use food as a reward. I want my dogs to be in good condition. I know how many calories per day they are getting. If the family uses dog treats etc. they can take in a lot more calories then they need, pretty quickly X 7 days a week.

Just the way i do it. I know, I'm a meanie Mom. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm

I used to cut liver into tiny chunks put it on a cookie sheet sprinkle a little garlic on it and bake it for about 10 minutes @ 250. It dries up to little chunks that dogs love. Cheap and I assume tasty.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm

I buy Canine Carryouts. They're moist chunks and can be bought at most pet and grocery stores. They are pretty inexpensive and can be broken into smaller pieces. I use them to teach pups to crate and to come when called. It's proven to be a very conflict free way to get a pup to enter a crate reliably and lightning fast at a very young age. Once they learn the task, then I'm more sporadic in treating. The adult dogs still net out every now and again, just because :mrgreen: , even more so now that I have a pup in the house again.
I'd say that the millions of kids and dogs that eat hot dogs straight from the package are more likely to be struck by lightning, while getting ran over by a garbage truck, crossing the train tracks...
That sounds about right. :lol:

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:27 pm

I give my two dog treats called "Yummy Chummies" - Dried up salmon treats that smell God awful. But they like it & their coats shine up nice.....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:17 am

I give mine all different types of dog biscuits, or hot dogs just as a treat for standing around once in awhile..I dont treat for dog training purposes, dog must listen to the command because I gave it and I am the alpha pack leader not because its getting a treat, it does get lots of praise for obeying though..
ever watch the DOG Father DVD its a good one, even though its not for bird dogs per say but a obedience DVD for any type of dogs not all but many of the ideas in that DVD can be translated to bird dogs and work well..

Gurgle

Post by Gurgle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 pm

Watch your local grocery store flyers for bargains. Last week outside round was $1.66/pound, and that's C$. WAY, WAY cheaper than most treats and healthier than most too. No, I did not count the cost of electricity to cook it. I now have nearly 15 lbs, the smallest size roast I could get, cut up into little pieces in my freezer. Only nearly because it turned out to be a much better cut of beef than it should have been and we ate a hunk ourselves. :)

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 pm

sliced hot dogs.

I also use venison jerky. I like that better when I am having to put the "bait" into my mouth when showing a dog. I hate hot dogs!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Usually use treats only for puppies, and even then sparingly. But I buy some liver flavored treats called "Bil-Jac". They come in a purple paper milk carton pkg and the pups seem to enjoy them.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:10 pm

We use the smaller Biljac Chicken Liver treats (look like little milk bones). We get a case of 6 large bags for $25.00 at dog shows. Cheapest quality treats I have found. 2 dogs with 1-2 a day lasts over a year.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Zuke's ... healthful and no refrigeration needed. $10/lb., but save time cutting hot dog bits and as i said, much better for your dog.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm

i use anything with fish in it...

VogelHund

Post by VogelHund » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:02 pm

We've been really pleased with Flint River's "Jubilee Wafers" and "Trout and Potato Wafers"... the dogs love them.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm

I buy the Old Mother Hubbard treats. The dogs love them and they're a good quality treat.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"