FF - Reaching Down

BellaDad

FF - Reaching Down

Post by BellaDad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 am

FFing a 10-11 month old GSP.

Having a problem with reaching down for the bumper. She'll reach out or up but not down. She also doesn't seem to fetch as quick as the dogs on the video either. There doesnt' seem to be the desire to "beat the pinch" that they talked about.

I don't want to ratchet up the pressure for no good reason so thought I'd ask. She will reach down but only tough the front of her mouth to the bumper, not grab it like when reaching out or up.

Thoughts?

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: FF - Reaching Down

Post by snips » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:04 pm

I just put the dumbell right in front of teeth and after command, and pressure is started, kinda increase pressure as you are lowering the dowell. They will slowely start dropping their head to get it.
brenda

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 pm

She drops her head to get it, just doesn't grab it. She'll follow it down but only puts her mouth/front teeth to the bumper. I always start in front of her and lower the bumper at the same time as the command/pressure.

I've tried stepping back to just the open for me to put the bumper in, and back to just reaching straight out or slightly up. She goes back to that just fine, but for some reason won't take the next step to reaching down and grabbing. She reaches but stops just short of the grab.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:05 pm

This step is a little at a time, but not seeing what is going on and how well shes doing it level, it sounds like more pressure.
brenda

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Have you tried attaching a toe hitch for the pressure point?

Like you, I started with the ear pinch. But when we ran into the same troubles you're having now, I went to the toe hitch and it was almost immediate compliance. We used the toe hitch for only a short period and then went back to the ear as soon as we hit the ground.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

dmadis8

Post by dmadis8 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:35 pm

My golden was doing this same thing. I just kept the pressure on (maybe a little more) until he grabbed the bumper. If you turn the pressure off when he is only touching it then you are teaching him that fetch means touch the bumper not put it in your mouth and hold it. The way i see it is that each step down is similar to taking a dog to a new place once he has learned a command it in the yard. You know they got the command when they do it in many different locations, in this case at different heights.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 pm

It is probably one of two things: Either you are going down before she is jumping for it straight out, or you're not using enough pressure. Force is about organized pressure. You are not asking the dog to do it, you are demanding it. Some dogs are much tougher than others.

If the dog whimpers and strains to get the bumper when it is held in front of her, you may have gone down too fast instead of an inch at a time.

If that isn't it, use more pressure on the ear.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 pm

not sure why but getting a dog to pickup off the ground is the slowest part of FF. just be patient with the dog. it will come. it just takes longer than other parts. dont get discouraged, if the dog is doing all other parts well, you are on the right track and just need to keep at it.