Permited puppy games

Luigi

Permited puppy games

Post by Luigi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 pm

Hello,

I have read in many books that there are certain puppy games that are strictly forbidden for gundogs.
One of the most obviuos is tug-war as the puppy will develop a hard mouth.
Then there are less obvious ones like throwing stuff to the puppy for him to pick up... the reason for this being prohibited I am not very sure but Ive read it in a Lawrence book.

Having this in mind, what are the usual games that you play with a puppy in its first few months that will get him tired, but wont develop into some ugly habits?

Thank you,

Luigi

Will

Re: Permited puppy games

Post by Will » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Everything is a puppy game in their first few months!! This is when he learns how to learn. This is the time to work on basic conditioning through fun time. Teach him "here" or "come" by making a huge deal over him when he complies....a nice light check cord on his collar is good...give him a little help. Nothing is more fun to that puppy than you praising him and knowing that he made you happy. A few play retrieves a day is a great game. Get a bumber his size and again...make a huge deal of him when he brings it to you. Only do maybe 3 tosses a day or so....he will love it. Nice leisurely walks for you are pretty good work outs for a puppy. Let him explore...chase bugs...play with grass...all of that is good stuff. I think the biggest thing right now is to lay a foundation of learning through fun play.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Throwing a bumper really helps when you begin force fetch. Because similarly to whoa breaking a dog, it's all FUN until the point you start expecting them to obey. I start whoa breaking the puppies by pulling the food bowl away and making them stand till I release them, only picking them up and setting them back.
KN

MB

Post by MB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Hot dog tracks.

Search for hidden dummies around the yard.

Retrieving on a check cord.

Swimming!

Walks in the field.

Playing with kids and other dogs.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 am

I wouldn't look at it as getting him tired- some youngsters just don't tire- and you want to end the puppy games while the pup is still fired up

tug of war with you isn't good- tug of war with another dog questionable

decide if you want your's tracking- nothing wrong with throwing things for him to pick up- make everything fun- easy on the scoulding- learn to read your pup- encourage what you want it to do- discourage what you don't want- watch the tone of voice- pups generally key on that

nothing wrong with introducing huntingImage

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't play games with puppies. Everything I do with them teaches them something in a fun and gentle manor.

For instance, if I'm working them on retrieves, they ONLY do it on a cc and when I reel them in I let them hold the bird while giving them a ton of praise.

I never work them on birds unless they're on a cc.

They get a lot of happy timing with no restriction what so ever.

They have a ball with me swimming behind the kayak in the water.

The biggest thing with any pup is consistancy. If you can't catch them, don't call them. Don't tell them NO one minute and let them do the same thing the next. Pups are a riot but they take a lot of time and can be very frustrating.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 am

there's always that control thing- you don't want a pup doing this without a checkcord

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:31 am

Mine always do it without a CC. I save the CC for later when we actually start training and I need control. But as pups their mission is to have fun and get acquainted with this big wonderful world they have never seen before. All I ask is they explore and find where the birds like to stay and hide and see how quickly they can find the next good spot. And if there are no birds then we can place a few in a line preferably so they learn to keep going so they can find the next one. My goal is to produce an indepenant dog that decides where the good places are that will hold birds. We will worry about control as they get older if and when they need it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:49 am

good post ezzy- can't think of one pup that I've had a check cord on

Merle

Post by Merle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:34 pm

If you are going to test, don't throw sticks for your dog to retrieve. You may get a surprise during the search! :wink:

Luigi

Post by Luigi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:45 am

Great tips, thanks.

He is retrieving great at the moment without a CC (3-4 times a day only). I simply pay attention and make sure i only send him to COME or retrieve when I am sure that he will come back.
In the rare occasion when he doesnt obey a simple ignore him like nothing has happened.

Am I doing alright?

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 am

M y1yr old YLM has played most any game with 8 & 10 yr old BLM's since he was 7 wks BUT he has been taught when it's OK ie free times- now they lay in yard .mostly on back and play with kong and or bone- growling etc(forbidden by most folks) and having fun- at work time there is none of that allowed and i work all three together-on marks- on blinds or on drills- they own the bones and kong and they are never required to drop them u=but can bring them to me for a toos if they want- bumpers are never played with nor squeky toys- no tug of war-