DD Caught 2 Wild Birds = Problem ?

vkwb

DD Caught 2 Wild Birds = Problem ?

Post by vkwb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:45 am

Good Morning All !

Here goes....sorry I'm long winded...the other day we were out in a field in really tall standing hay for a run, he found a covey of birds and they took flight, sure enough he caught a young grouse, (he did bring the bird to me) after that I released him again within 10 minutes up went another bunch of birds, this time he came back with a young crow. I was quite a distance away, and because of the tall hay I couldn't see if he pointed either of them - but I do know his bell stopped - but I would be guessing his bell stopped because he already caught the bird ? Not sure .. both times I was ecstatic, so extremely proud of him just to bring me the birds (his first time in this kind of scenario just out in a field going for a run etc.!) and he handled them beautifully and his co-operation was impressive (to me :P ) - I acted like he brought me a million dollars and praised him like never before. In MY mind I was praising him for bringing the bird and his 'manners' in delivery, not the fact that he caught the bird, so did I make a mistake especially since I know it is not a good thing for him to be catching birds like that ? If I did, how SHOULD I have reacted or what should I have done ? And now what do I do, keep going out to the field and hope it doesn't happen again, or ??

I am a newbie to all of this - first time trainer - I know I will make mistakes, but would like to limit them as much as possible type thing.

Any help/advice etc. is most welcomed !

Thanks so much,
Cheers

Valerie

wfkgsps

Re: DD Caught 2 Wild Birds = Problem ?

Post by wfkgsps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:58 am

What's the age of the DD? And what are your training goals? Those will help answer the questions you asked.

MB

Post by MB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 am

wfkgsps wrote:What's the age of the DD? And what are your training goals? Those will help answer the questions you asked.
also

Does the dog have a lot of pointing instinct?

You did the right thing praising the retrieve. But I would stay out of the field until the birds are grown. That will decrease his chances of catching birds which will diminish his pointing desire, especially in a young dog.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 pm

It sounds like you made the best out of the situation. I would also say stay out of the fields until the birds have a chance to mature, its the ethical thing to do. Depending on the age of the dog and your training and testing plans you could do yard work or go to areas where you are less likely to encounter young birds.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

vkwb

Post by vkwb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm

wfkgsps wrote:What's the age of the DD? And what are your training goals? Those will help answer the questions you asked.
Oops sorry he is 8 months old. Honestly, I didn't know that hay field held birds, it was a new field for us - a nearby farmer gave us permission to run in. I truly have been staying away from fields that hold birds for that reason, I had no clue (maybe it was ignorance on my part :( ) I should stick to cleared fields for our runs then ??!! He's got alot of energy to burn !

Training goals well over time I want a finished well-rounded, obedient/well mannered hunting partner - upland game, waterfowl, and tracking. I would also like to run him in trials - VDD, CKC and NAVHDA, but then again maybe my goals are set to high for a newbie.

He has held point many a time, does he have alot of pointing instinct ? I would be guessing & I would like to say yes, but I really don't know for sure. I too am learning, and trying to read him as each day passes etc.

Let me know what you's think..
Look forward to hearing from you's !

Cheers
Valerie

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Training goals well over time I want a finished well-rounded, obedient/well mannered hunting partner - upland game, waterfowl, and tracking. I would also like to run him in trials - VDD, CKC and NAVHDA
If those are your goals you should be attending your VDD/GNA chapter training days, where are you located? I do participate in NAVHDA some but they don't do any fur or tracking work in their testing system.
but then again maybe my goals are set to high for a newbie
If you own a DD and those are not your goals I would say you shouldn't own one. Keep up the good work
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com