year and a half pointer

fastbirdfinder

year and a half pointer

Post by fastbirdfinder » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 pm

THIS MALE HAS HAD ABOUT A DOZEN PEN RAISED QUAIL SHOT OVER HIM.
EVERYTHING WAS FINE,SOMETHING HAPPENED AND NOW HE IS SCARED OF EVERYTHING?
HAVE CONSULTED WITH MY AREA EXPERT TRAINERS,HAVE DETERMINED THAT HE IS NOT GUN SHY,GAME SHY,OR SCARED OF THE HUNT SITUATION.
HE DOESNT WANT TO LEAVE MY SIDE WHEN IN THE FIELD,ANOTHER DOG SEEMS TO HELP SOME,BUT HE IS JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS AND IS NOT HUNTING.
THIS IS A FINE ANIMAL WITH A SOLID PEDIGREE.
WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE.
NEARING THE END OF MY PATIENCE.

postoakshorthairs

Re: year and a half pointer

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:08 pm

EVERYTHING WAS FINE,SOMETHING HAPPENED AND NOW HE IS SCARED OF EVERYTHING?
Any more info? When was the last time he was "fine". what have you done with hime since he was "fine" ie: trainer, field work, running etc. What bloodlines?

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Hate to ask this one since it could open a can of worms with some people but do you use and Ecollar on him and how close to being stimulated with a collar did this happen.

fastbirdfinder

Post by fastbirdfinder » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm

yes i do run e collars.
it was only used at a low setting,when the dog would not respond to the whistle blast that he is trained to do.
i have tried not running any collar,going out with no pressure ,just went for a walk in the field with nothing in hand.
his confidence does seem to be a little better,but something has happened that i am unaware of that has to be reversed or overcome.
his brother,littermate has been subject to the same conditions and he is on the way to being a great birddog.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm

If you have a girl friend or wife let them take the dog for a run and see what it does without you along that will tell you if its your presence,

If the dog reacts well with others I would think accidental overcorrection or a misunderstood correction with the ecollar it associates with you.

also ecollars can fail and jump to a very high stimulation had that happen with a innotech collar once and the dog was unfairly corrected and freaked out for a couple months I just gave him time.

the dog could of been stung by something theres lots of possibilities
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:15 pm

coyote??? Scared one of my dogs to my side for several months

Try changing training fields - someplace new.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Nearing the end of your patience is the last thing you want to do. Now is when the patience needs to kick in. Lots of encouragement and time. Running with another dog should help.
brenda

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm

bobman wrote:If you have a girl friend or wife let them take the dog for a run and see what it does without you along that will tell you if its your presence,

If the dog reacts well with others I would think accidental overcorrection or a misunderstood correction with the ecollar it associates with you.

also ecollars can fail and jump to a very high stimulation had that happen with a innotech collar once and the dog was unfairly corrected and freaked out for a couple months I just gave him time.

the dog could of been stung by something theres lots of possibilities
Those were the points I was getting at Bobman. I have had a few in over the years who had the same boot polishing issue pop up, in every case it was due to an over correction, either accidental or from lack of experience/impatience.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 am

I think Duane has it nailed. The dog is acting exactly like an animal that was not properly collar conditioned or was abused on the ecollar.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.