Starting a pup off right for field trials

hpvizslas

Starting a pup off right for field trials

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I am interested in what everyone's thoughts on the correct way to start a puppy for field trials. I have started a couple of dogs but this will be the first pup with a purpose. I doubt that it will be all age but would like to try and get the best run as possible. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Starting a pup off right for field trials

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Pup needs to develop independence. When you take pup to the field/woods let pup go. Don't call him back every 2 minutes. Say nothing.( A young pup will not go so far that you will lose him.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm

When you plant birds for the pup, plant them on the edges and get pup to learn that is where to find the birds, not out in the middle of the open fields.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I will make the assumption, based on your handle, that it is a Vizsla pup that we are talking about here.

Sharon is, IMHO, spot on about allowing your dog to develop independence. It is probably even more important for a V than for some other breeds.

The few V's I have been around have been very sensitive dogs and would have been very easy to intimidate or shut down. They have also been pretty smart, perceptive dogs, eager to please but also smart enogh to get themselves in trouble by anticipating you next move. Gentle, firm, fair, training with an emphasis on positive reinforcement would be the kind of training regimen I would employ. I would not do eto much repetition with a V, but rather i would keep switching up the lessons and varying th tempo to retain the dog's attention and interest. Developing a bond and a trust with that kind of dog is crucial. The trust has to be two ways...the dog has to trust you and you have to trust the dog enough to let it go and do its thing.

The other thing I would do is to expose the dog to other dogs and other scenarios, especially horses and dogs on chains and the general uproar that goes on at a trial. Do this gradually, in a safe, secure way and again, positive, so the dog knows if he is with you... all is good. I would get the dog used to other folks yelling...not you...other folks, again because that is going to happen at a trial. The dog needs to understand that yelling is just noise to be ignored and it should be paying attention to you.

That should get you started down the road to ruin. :lol:

RayG