E-Collar training Help needed

hpvizslas

E-Collar training Help needed

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 am

Ok, another question that I should know the answer to.

I have an eight year old and a five year old Vizslas. I have never used an e-collar with them as I have trained them. I just bought a Tri-Tronics Pro 200 from someone here on GDF. Now I need help on how to use the E-Collar. Any recommendations on videos?

Any recommendations on how to use the e-collar? Both of the dogs know most of their commands, I just would like to reinforce the commands that they know. Mainly to keep them from creeping when I am trying to flush. Having not used a collar in the past, what do I need to do?

Thanks for the help

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: E-Collar training Help needed

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 am

here is a method I use to help condition a dog to the e collar

Understanding the E collar
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:58 pm

Good advice in your article K9..

Mo

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:04 pm

hpviz -

I suggest you look at a good video or ask for assistance on working with a dog with an e-collar on around birds.

If that is not an option, here is what I would do. I would put the collar around the dog's flank with the setting on 1. The flank is VERY sensitive so you do not need mcuh at all.

I would work the dog in the yard first doing some heel/whoa drills and then with a wing locked pigeon. When it takes a stepduring a heel/whooa drill, I would nick it with the lowest momentary stim. That should tighten the dog right up and maek it undersand that whoa means whoa. Then I would repeat the exercise with the wing locked pigeon and try to tempt the dog to take a step so you can nick it.

When the dog understands that it will be disciplined for taking that step, then you can go to the field and when the dog creeps, the low level nick should be all you need to remind him.

After the nick, you might want to stop flushing, return to the dog then calmly and silently pick the dog up, set it back a step or two and gently style the dog up...all without saying a word. Then go back out and resume the flushing attempt. Yu want the dog to understand that it is not to move a toenail, but you also want the dog to understand that being "in the zone", sucking in that bird scent, is just where you want the dog to be and what you want the dog to be doing.

The more they suck it in, the more they seem to want to suck it in. Make that work for you.

RayG

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone but does anybody have recommendations on which video to get. I am going to find someone to work with but would also like to see it on tape.

Thanks
Jeff

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:42 pm

RayGubernat wrote:hpviz -

I suggest you look at a good video or ask for assistance on working with a dog with an e-collar on around birds.

If that is not an option, here is what I would do. I would put the collar around the dog's flank with the setting on 1. The flank is VERY sensitive so you do not need mcuh at all.

I would work the dog in the yard first doing some heel/whoa drills and then with a wing locked pigeon. When it takes a stepduring a heel/whooa drill, I would nick it with the lowest momentary stim. That should tighten the dog right up and maek it undersand that whoa means whoa. Then I would repeat the exercise with the wing locked pigeon and try to tempt the dog to take a step so you can nick it.

When the dog understands that it will be disciplined for taking that step, then you can go to the field and when the dog creeps, the low level nick should be all you need to remind him.

After the nick, you might want to stop flushing, return to the dog then calmly and silently pick the dog up, set it back a step or two and gently style the dog up...all without saying a word. Then go back out and resume the flushing attempt. Yu want the dog to understand that it is not to move a toenail, but you also want the dog to understand that being "in the zone", sucking in that bird scent, is just where you want the dog to be and what you want the dog to be doing.

The more they suck it in, the more they seem to want to suck it in. Make that work for you.

RayG
I second that. This is also the method I use
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way