Pigeon coop feature

PhillipTaylor

Pigeon coop feature

Post by PhillipTaylor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I have purposely limited the amount of my pigeon coop that you guys could see because it is just too darn embarrassing. I am no carpenter :lol: I did come up with a pretty neat idea though that I wanted to share with you guys. I bought a little rabbit hutch from a feed store and put it together. I took wire cutters and cut a square out of the back of it. I aligned that square with a hole I cut in the side of my coop. I then took hardware cloth and made a door attaching it with J clips, just like you put the rabbit hutch together with. I bought a couple of pieces of 1/16th stainless steel cable at Lowes (btw they do not like it when you cut the cable by yourself there) and 4 tarp hooks which look like a big J. 2 more decent size eye screws and 4 cable clamps and you put it together and get what you see pictured below.

I made it this way so that when I want the pigeons for training, I can put some food in the hutch and they'll come in there. My arms aren't long enough to try to catch them inside my 4x4x4 coop. They come right into the cage, I lift the cage up off of the J-shaped tarp hooks on the bottom and swing it out. The rear trap door will shut and then I can take the top cabled-hooks out of the top of the cage. Pigeons are now in a portable cage ready to take to the field. Of course this is all theory at this point since I don't have any pigeons yet, but I see no reason it won't go off without a hitch.

Thought you guys might be interested in doing it as well since it is pretty easy.
DSC01532.JPG
reartrapdoor.jpg
tarphook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Pigeon coop feature

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:13 am

Good idea. When it comes to do-it-yourself, whatever works for you is OK.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

phillipsgsp

Re: Pigeon coop feature

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I have the same thing on the front of my loft. It works great and I keep the water out there in it to eliminate water on the loft floor. I release them from the front and the have bobs on the top where it mounts to the loft.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH