Help with down command/sitting in a duck blind

BellaDad

Help with down command/sitting in a duck blind

Post by BellaDad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 am

I am planning on taking my GSP duck hunting this winter with me but it will really depend how well she gets at sitting in a duck blind without moving for extended periods of time.

I started training her on a down command about 2 months ago and have gradually worked up from 30 seconds to just undre 30 minutes now. I make her sit at a down every night when we eat dinner or while I read a book for a bit. She will lay down for the whole time with maybe 1 or two slight corrections so it's going well I think.

For those of you who duck hunt your GSPs, how do you get them to sit still for hours while you sit in a duck blind? Does head movement become an issue? She lays down but her head is generally up and moves a bit. Do I need to get one of those dog blinds to put her in, would that help?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Help with down command/sitting in a duck blind

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 am

I got a say, you have done more than I. I taught sit and down. and they just seem to know by my demeanor and focus that we are hunting and that is what they do. Once in a while the get a little restless but usually when nothing is going on. but a quick, cut it! or no! is all that is needed. I also will on occasion let them out on land to releive them selves.

Once you shoot birds over your dog she will start looking to the sky and probably will catch on. I think you are all set.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

madduckdog

Post by madduckdog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 pm

I am teaching the place command also so on the very slow days the dog can have a little more freedom in the blind to sit stand or lay down.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:32 pm

BellaDad wrote:
For those of you who duck hunt your GSPs, how do you get them to sit still for hours while you sit in a duck blind? Does head movement become an issue? She lays down but her head is generally up and moves a bit. Do I need to get one of those dog blinds to put her in, would that help?
It's actually easier to extend the time in a blind; you're right there to crack the whip. If she'll lay for 30 minutes now, you'll have no problem in a duck blind. Next thing you want to do is to down her in the field, and throw and shoot a bird over her. She has to be steady as well.

Head movement is not an issue. Even in the field, I just lay them next to me and throw a camo cover over them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
It's actually easier to extend the time in a blind; you're right there to crack the whip. If she'll lay for 30 minutes now, you'll have no problem in a duck blind. Next thing you want to do is to down her in the field, and throw and shoot a bird over her. She has to be steady as well.

Head movement is not an issue. Even in the field, I just lay them next to me and throw a camo cover over them.
I'm running into a problem moving from me physically placing her in a down from a sit and her going into a down on her own. I'm taking the instructions from the NAVHDA green book as my basis. The issue is that the book says to start her at a sit and place the lead under your foot and pull up which in turn pulls the dog's neck down. When I do that her either her butt comes up as her head goes down or she bites at the lead.

It's strange to me b/c at no other time has she ever fought the lead. How do you progress to that step?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Quick Story on my training down.

I was at the Orono Sportsman show, we were doing NAVHDA Demonstrations. There were retreiver clubs there and one guy was an AKC judge for the good citizen thing. He aske if we had done it. I asked what is involved with the test. All okay but Ihad not taught her down. I told him I would be back in 20 minutes.

Went to the consession got two hot dogs, ate one and cut the other up.

Put the cut piece in my hand placed it in front of her face and commanded down while lowering my hand to the ground. She followed the hot dog, and I helped her down physically the first couple times, just repeated a few times now she does it all the time with no hot dog. Went back and did his test and got the certificate.

Any way, just a thought.

Rick

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Funny enough I tried that with a piece of the crust from the pizza that I was eating tonight. It worked well enough, better than the previous efforts. I've always been against bribing a dog with treats, I've been able to do everything so far with just praise. I think I can make it work though, just have to ween her off of it before she gets hooked.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 am

BellaDad wrote:
I'm running into a problem moving from me physically placing her in a down from a sit and her going into a down on her own. I'm taking the instructions from the NAVHDA green book as my basis. The issue is that the book says to start her at a sit and place the lead under your foot and pull up which in turn pulls the dog's neck down. When I do that her either her butt comes up as her head goes down or she bites at the lead.

It's strange to me b/c at no other time has she ever fought the lead. How do you progress to that step?
She's fighting the lead because "Down" is the most confining command you will teach the dog. Are you using a choke collar? If not, you should be. Command down wih you hand, slide your foot up to her collar, foot on top of the lead, and pull her head down to the ground. She'll buck and fight some, but she'll give in and do it. As soon as she's down, take pressure off the lead, but keep your foot on it if she tries to stand up.

A heeling stick also simplifies this. When she raises her but, tap her with the heeling stick.

Now, heel her around the yard and try it again. Dog's hate doing this, so persevere. Eventually, take your foot off the lead, and just use the heeling stick. If she doesn't go down, tap her back and jerk the lead down. It only takes a few days, but the dogs hate learning it. Keep at it until you can just give her a visual down signal and she'll drop.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

BellaDad wrote:For those of you who duck hunt your GSPs, how do you get them to sit still for hours while you sit in a duck blind? Does head movement become an issue? She lays down but her head is generally up and moves a bit. Do I need to get one of those dog blinds to put her in, would that help?
First time duck hunting with my oldest girl (Sadie Marie) I had some of the same worries. There was no need to worry, she did great first time out. She was a little fidgety untill the first birds came in. After that she sat so still it was like she was on point. I think I have a harder time sitting still while duck hunting than she does. Oh and I just throw my empty decoy bag over her.

This looks like a fun way to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leY42chyfzM

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:18 am

Sadie_Marie: How come your dog has a green tongue? :wink:

Rick

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Sadie_Marie: How come your dog has a green tongue? :wink:
:lol: There is a green rabies vaccine tag on her collar. I guess I should tighten that up a little so it doesn't bounce around so much.... ....... I'm looking at it now. I think its a bit of an optical illusion. It's on a pretty small ring and really doesn't stick out much.... Jeesh, now I'm gonna have to find a new pic. :lol: