completely whoa trained?

PA_Sportsman

completely whoa trained?

Post by PA_Sportsman » Wed May 26, 2004 6:23 am

What are some of the tests trainers do to tell when your dog is completely whoa trained?

I whoa Gracie everytime before I open a door, occasionally I'll whoa her at the top of the steps and call her to me after I'm at the bottom, whoa her before I put her food down, whoa her in the driveway and then walk around the house, etc. What else should I do to ensure that she understands completely?

Thanks

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 26, 2004 7:20 am

Let a bird walk around in front of her and see if she stays still after you have gotten her to whoa...

Just a thought...

I've worked mine with an e-collar along the lines of the perfection kennel tapes, and the results have been great. Bell or Carl at 7 & 8 mo. old can be running through a field and I say whoa and they whoa until I blow my whistle. I work with the whoa command in the neighbor hood because it also has lots of distractions. (Like kids) I also like to see the neighbor’s reactions to the dogs responding to commands.

I had Bell whoad' in the cul-de-sac yester day and my neighbor came home. Bell stayed whoad' the while my neighbor drove the car around her to get into their driveway. It was a sight to see =)

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy » Wed May 26, 2004 8:02 am

Another good test is to be running with the dog, say whoa, but continue running. The dog will be excited that you are running with him. If he whoas for you here this should imply that the command is pretty ingrained. :)

icefire

Post by icefire » Wed May 26, 2004 8:40 am

the dog is whoa trained if....
without saying whoa on a bird you can
let a quail run around under his nose, between his legs and he/she does not budge
another dog can blast on past your dog, flush the bird and chase it down and catch it and your dog does not move a foot (labs are great for this exercise)
a dozen people on horses, a few other people/dogs on foot can go running past kicking up birds and the dog does not move
you can put your dog at the break line in a trial, take the leash off, whoa the dog get on your horse and the other handler lets his dog go and yours still stands there waiting for your release.
and what i consider part of whoa training, you can here/heel the dog off of point OR walk up to the dog and touch it anywhere, even on the head and it does not move till it gets either here'heeled off or gets a very definitive tap for release.
we whoa train in 2 parts, 1st. making it as easy on the dog to whoa as possible, in every situation until you know the dog knows it then 2nd. doing everything I can to tempt the dog to move. they start to understand that every situation is a screw with me type test. once they know that they won't move when it counts (trial, hunting, stop to flush, safety situation).

Justin

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 26, 2004 10:05 am

Wow,
Good info!

emae

Post by emae » Wed May 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Justin,

hmmmmmmmmm, think I may need a bit of work on the whoa command. Any way you want to take on my dog and teach her that for me, and while your at it, go ahead and steady her point too? :lol:

icefire

Post by icefire » Wed May 26, 2004 2:52 pm

emae,
check your pm.
Justin

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:06 am

Kids work great.

These pics were taken on a snipe in NC. The dog in the rear backed the other dog. I whoa'd both of them -- then my daughter walked around them. The backing dog turned to see the flush.
Sorry the pics are not in great focus.