New Puppy

all3lemmons

New Puppy

Post by all3lemmons » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Hadn't done this in a ling time. I had a springer spaniel years ago that I trained myself, but the wife and kids dominated the dog selection after she passed.

I recently purchased a 10 week old GSP. So far she is doing fine and retrieving to hand and learning simple commands, but the last time I did this was 20 years ago and I don't want to screw up.

She is full of energy and loves to play. Problem is she is a puppy and I have several chew toys that she plays with when we are not "officially" training. With other toys she tends to want to play tug a war and runs and hides with the toy. Some of this is showing up with the bumper. Should I tell the rest of the family not to play with her in this way?

Thanks for any advice.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: New Puppy

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm

If you plan on training this dog to be a working dog, I would definately not let the family be playing retrieving games with it.
From what you said, the pup is going to pick up alot of bad habits.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:04 pm

It would be good to send as few mixed messages to pup as possible. Retrieving and a new puppy, is an irresistable mix for kids, in my experience. I do not know the ages of your children, and maybe they're too young, but I would explain that certain things like tug of war are not okay and why. I have found kids extremely receptive to learning when they are part of the dog training and feel they have responsibility and control.

We took our dog out with some friends this Spring. I always have a bumper in the truck, and the dog was getting extremely bored being on the leash. So I started throwing the bumper for her on a checkcord. My friends 5 year old boy wanted to participate of course, so I had him throw and yell fetch. The dog didn't care that he could only throw it 15' instead of 50', as retrieving is a blast for her. But she would always come back to me instead of him, so I had him stand in front of me and say "give", which worked terrific. He was tickled pink to have "control" of my dog, and continued to use the commands like a pro for the next 20 minutes or so, with my guidance. His 14 year old brother has always been the same way, and loves to be part of the process, whether it's my gsps or my horses. This summer I went to a party at a friends timber, and met 10 year old Courtney, who saw me throwing the bumper for my gsp out in some shallow water. She wanted to throw, so I told her to use "fetch" when she threw. She was tickled pink to see my gsp part the water after the bumper, and giggled with delight when my gsp hit the bank and sprayed her with water. Again my dog returned to me, so I helped Courtney with the "Roxi come" and "give" command. In addition, I had used the "hold" command maybe 2-3 times during the half hour, to stop my loose mouthed dog from fiddling with the bumper on her return to me. Many throws later, Roxi comes to Courtney fiddlefarting with the bumper, and out of the blue--Courtney commanded "hold". I about fell over.

Anyway, they soak it up like a sponge IMO. Get the kids involved and show them the proper way to do things and explain why we do it this way--and be amazed when they call you out for doing it wrong or parrot your training words to another child, when showing their friends the pup. Involve the kids in every day training. It could be that you and your child sit at the end of a hallway, and throw a few puppy bumpers every night for pup to retrieve. Or it could be teaching them to make pup sit or whoa before feeding. Sorry for the ramble, and I certainly do NOT want to tell anyone how they should do it. Just trying to give input on how to channel the pup/child relationship productively and make yourself a fine training partner/s in the process. BTW, where are the new pups photos.....we're waiting. :mrgreen:

all3lemmons

Post by all3lemmons » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks guys. Tug of War has stopped!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Hey wems2371,
Nice post! :mrgreen:
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

all3lemmons

Post by all3lemmons » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Here she is.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Now that is what a shorthair should look like.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Beautiful pup!!!!

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Dennmor wrote:Hey wems2371,
Nice post! :mrgreen:
dennmor
Ditto!!!

Charlie

all3lemmons

Post by all3lemmons » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 pm

She is doing good so.

She loves water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUweHtA-6Cg

And is doing pretty good fetching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jk0EA3n1o

The only issue I have had with fetching is she sometimes comes back full throttle and drops the dummy a few feet before reaching me. Any suggestion on how to have her hand it to me instead of dropping it as she approaches?

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Great looking dog! I am currently training a GSP and, man they are great dogs, you have a lot of fun years ahead of you!

As far as dropping it short, I wouldn't worry about it too much. For a young dog it should be all fun and games, just be sure she is focused on you and not 5' in front of you.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 am

all3lemmons wrote:The only issue I have had with fetching is she sometimes comes back full throttle and drops the dummy a few feet before reaching me. Any suggestion on how to have her hand it to me instead of dropping it as she approaches?
Real nice looking pup. 2 out of 3 to hand for such a youngster seems pretty good to me. You might try taking a couple steps backwards when she looks like she's thinking about dropping it short. Also might help to not take it from her right away every time. Let her hold on to it for a bit while you pet her up and give her a good girl. Looks like you're doing a great job already though. Keep it fun.