***misunderstood behavior in the field***

westexasrepublic

***misunderstood behavior in the field***

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am

Took my small Brit out for dove hunting yesterday and had a blast. But! my friend brought his HUGE white lab that is clumbersum and slow. Well something seemed to happen that has never happened before. My brittany shut down and wouldnt retreive. It sucked. The lab would walk over and find my bird instead.

What was I doing or not doing? its like she was jealous to hunt with another dog and wanted to punish me. What do you think the real problem is and how do I correct it?
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

adogslife

Re: ***misunderstood behavior in the field***

Post by adogslife » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

How old is she? Sounds like the action was to much for her.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:41 am

Sounds like she may have been intimidated by the larger,older dog. Especially if she is not used to working with other dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 am

Could be the heat, gunshots, ect. Hard top tell without more knowledge of what your dogs experience is.
brenda

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 am

well she just turned 4, and been hunting every season since she was a pup, but mostly by herself. She will run around and participate in the hunt, just refused to retrieve. and when she did find a bird, she would walk away from me or run a few yards and drop it.
Little Lady Maple

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 am

How hot is it?
brenda

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

its typical 90-100° the weather, the terrain, and her diet is same as last year and it she has not behaved this way before. My sig pic is from last year, she retrieved every single one of those birds, and plenty more on other trips last year. Im leaning towards something psychological. Since the lab would come near and hunt with me, like I let that dog take her role or something? Like as a pack leader, I gave the lab power over my brittany.
Little Lady Maple

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Does she normally sulk? She is a brittany you know!! :P

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Has your dog been force fetched? Maybe when you seen potential issues you should have sererated a bit to give her her owne space to hu to with you. Did you notice anything that happened between the two dogs.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm

I hunt 3 dogs together and 2 of them will retrieve steadily. When they hunt together I have one that likes to get all of the retrieves, she is the young pointer but the older setter retrieves fine on her own or when the young pointer does not try and steal all the retrieves. In my experience it has been not necessarily a dominance issue but my setter does not care to retrieve if another dog is around to do it. Perhaps your Brittany is the same. As was mentioned FF training her would probably work. I personally am just not a fan of FF training. Just my choice.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I hunt 3 dogs together and 2 of them will retrieve steadily. When they hunt together I have one that likes to get all of the retrieves, she is the young pointer but the older setter retrieves fine on her own or when the young pointer does not try and steal all the retrieves. In my experience it has been not necessarily a dominance issue but my setter does not care to retrieve if another dog is around to do it. Perhaps your Brittany is the same. As was mentioned FF training her would probably work. I personally am just not a fan of FF training. Just my choice.
good post- I'm also not a firm believer in FF- but I start mine young and with another who really retrieves- have a Britt that will let another dog retrieve, and if that dog mouths a bird- she's like- ok- it's yours- if the other dog isn't interested she good- roosters no problem
hunted with a guy for a few years and his Britt wouldn't retrieve very often- but would mouth the bird- guy would get upset that mine wouldn't go find and retrieve- what can I say-

question- can you call yours off a retrieve- and when with someone else can they call theirs off

could be maybe you could get your Britt out with another non aggressive dog- maybe she'll get the idea the other dog isn't competing and she'll be ok- maybe not
not working a youngster with another when she was young could be all there is to it
you might need to seek Professional help if you want yours a sure fired retriever when with another dog

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:19 am

well update* I took her out again yesterday with a different dog, and she did a little better. The other lab from the first day actually did growl at her I guess to establish dominance and may have own the field after that. Next time im gonna try something different and ill update on her progress with other dogs in the field. I cant wait to work her alone, she really shines, but man is this frustrating since most friends have dogs they bring out to the field now.
Little Lady Maple

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:08 pm

westexasrepublic wrote:well update* I took her out again yesterday with a different dog, and she did a little better. The other lab from the first day actually did growl at her I guess to establish dominance and may have own the field after that. Next time im gonna try something different and ill update on her progress with other dogs in the field. I cant wait to work her alone, she really shines, but man is this frustrating since most friends have dogs they bring out to the field now.
sounds good- I'd still think seriously about keeping her back when dove hunting with others- or keeping way far enough away
I'd take my male- but not my female when with others with dogs dove hunting-
think your Britt is a bit intimidated by another dog-