Introduced my GSP to gunfire today.......next steps??

Nebraska

Introduced my GSP to gunfire today.......next steps??

Post by Nebraska » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 am

I used a clipped-wing pigeon and birder launcher for the flush and had a friend fire the gun from a distance after the bird flushed. We did this three times (100, 50 and 20 yards) and Roxy never showed even a hint of hearing the gun!!

I was planning on doing this again next weekend at 50, 20 and then 10 yards but after that I'm not really sure how to proceed.

Eventually I'd like her to be steady to wing and shot but have never taken a dog to that point so I'd really like to hear what's worked for all of you.

Thanks for any input..... :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Introduced my GSP to gunfire today.......next steps??

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 am

See the thread, 'Anybody Read, Use These Books ? ". It would be helpful to you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Saltriver

Post by Saltriver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 pm

I would back off and slow down a lot. that is pretty fast advancement on the gun if you ask me. I might spend up to 2 weeks depending on the dog to condition it to the point that i actually shoot birds over it. Here is the killer thing about gunbreaking, some dogs it might never ever be an issue but you don't know that until it becomes an issue then you have a hole to dig yourself out of. you knever know what shot it might be that spooks the dog and once that shot is taken you can't take it back! start back that far again, 100 yds at least and throw a dead bird (or a live one if the dog does not get excited about dead ones) as soon as the shot is fired. shoot then throw. as soon as the dog acknowledges the shot you want that bird to drop down right in front of it. slowly work your way closer then start changing things up. throw them shoot. have someone hold the dog 20-30 yards away and shoot/throw release the dog then throw release shoot. many repetitions slowly getting closer in different scenarios/patterns. get the gun thing taken care of then it will be time to start thinking of breaking the dog

justin

madduckdog

Post by madduckdog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 pm

also if you are going to duck hunt,.. or hunt with many folks you need to get him usto more than one shot at a time.