Is She Ready??

MNGSP

Is She Ready??

Post by MNGSP » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:16 pm

Hi all,
My Gsp pup is now 5.5 months old. She is very birdy, and shows great desire to find birds when I bring her to the local park reserve. She has pointed probably around 50 wild pheasants out there. She has progressively held her points longer and longer. She has held probably 10 of those birds until I was able to flush them. On the other birds she will start creeping, and then run until she gets another strong scent. Problem is, this usually results in the birds flushing. This is most likely due to the birds running from her.
I do not say anything to her during this process.
I have been firing off a .209 primer pistol every other time or so when the bird is in the air. She has shown no fear of this at all.

My question is whether or not she is ready to go to a game farm and have a few birds killed over her?
Must she hold the bird until I flush it before shooting a bird, or is it enough to hold it until I get within ten or so feet?

Thanks everyone!

Jon

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 pm

I would keep doing as you have. If it looks like the dog is getting a little frustrated/bored with the game maybe set one to shoot. Make her do it right and shoot that one.
Sounds like she is a nice youngster and on the right track. Keep her in birds!

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:39 pm

By "make her do it right," do you mean to hold her back with a checkcord after she establishes her point? Or do you mean to just wait until she gets it right and then shoot one?

Thanks for the kind words about my pup. She seems to be very good at finding birds, she is awesome at tracking the running birds through the weeds/brush. She is just getting a bit carried away sometimes, and overuns them, causing them to flush. I can see her thinking though every time. I'm sure she'll get the idea sooner or later! I may take her out on thursday to find some wild birds. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Jon

Hifive

Post by Hifive » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 am

I would shoot a few birds for this pup if it pointed them. Even if it did bust them before you were able to flush them yourself. Then I would start staunching the pup up and then after staunch only shoot birds that were handled correctly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:06 am

I agree completely with Tak's comments. She is already showing an interest in birds, so she needs to know they get downed only when she does it right. And she does need to get to find and "play" with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.