Bird Launcher Issue

moknowz

Bird Launcher Issue

Post by moknowz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm sure this is a stupid question but how do you keep pen raised quail from sneaking out of the bird launcher? I am new to the use of bird launchers for training. I have the small Scott launcher and am using pen raised quail for training 2 young pointers. As I said....a stupid question. Any help is appreciated!

goddog

Post by goddog » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:06 pm

Not sure how a Scott is constructed but I don't think a quail shouldn't escape a well-made launcher that's working Properly.
Find out how and where the bird is getting out and rectify it accordingly, just make sure your modification does not interfere with the working mechanism.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:31 pm

moknowz
I have 2 scott launchers I bought from lcs, but I never used quail in the launchers only pigeons. I see the problem is in the design where a smaller bird could crawl out one side of the canvas and escape. I wonder if you can dizzy the birds up before you load them and maybe they'll stay put long enough before they're launch.

Another idea might be to get some velcro strips and tape it to the canvas to close the ends. I don't think that would restrict the launch any, those are pretty powerful launchers.

Good luck I hope this help.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:23 pm

llewgor I think hit the nail on the head.

I read elsewhere that on the scott and I think the innotek had just enough room that quail can squeeze their way out.

I havent had the same problem because I to use pigeons but you could try and put a couple quail in them and wait to see where they come out than try and modify that part so they cant.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:20 am

I've got the scotts and I hate it. The "latch bar??" is already bent, and I grew tired of birds popping me in the face by "accidental launches" =) Really, I know what your talking about... On mine, the fabric is thin, which lets the bird crawl its way out. I think Greg J. reinforced his fabric with some stronger fabric...???

On some of the better launchers I've used, the fabric is thick...
Last edited by grant on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moknowz

Post by moknowz » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. The birds actually sneak out the end of the fabric and then out through the side of the launcher. I like the idea of velcro and think that should work. Guess I should have done a little more research on the launchers before I landed on Scott's version. I'll post how the "velcro" works once I get it sewd on. Thanks again!!

Jon

Re: Bird Launcher Issue

Post by Jon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:43 pm

moknowz wrote:how do you keep pen raised quail from sneaking out of the bird launcher? Any help is appreciated!
Head tuck / dizzy the quail works most of the time

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:41 am

moknowz
Before you sew it in, you can buy velcro that is a tape, that you can cut to the size you'll need. Just enough to kept the little bird in should be all you'll need without restricting the launcher.
Good Luck
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

scotton

Post by scotton » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:28 pm

there is a very easy solution to this that I started to post a few months ago. when you place the quail in the launcher, hold it in your right hand and pull out it's legs with your left. then place it on the fabric part of the launcher, grab some fabric with the fingers of your right hand so that you have the bird penned against the fabric with your thumb, and pull the right side of the launcher in. when that half of the launcher is all the way down, the frame of the launcher scissors back on itself. as you bring the right side in, grab the leg or legs of the quail that are sticking out and put it in such a way that the launcher arms will pin it between themselves. it should be tight enough that the quail can't get it's "knee" through, but not so tight as to do permanent harm to the quail (although that's between you and the quail, I guess). then you can pull in the left side and lock it. it reads harder than it is. the main thing to take away from the most confusing post ever is: it's easy to wedge the quail's leg between the side arms of the launcher. I have about a 90% success rate on this, compared to 20% using quail in a Scott without the leg pinch.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:07 pm

I put some craft webbing in center of the launcher fabric from end to end. The bird then couldn't shift the fabric enough to escape.

Regards,