Introducing dog to pigeons

MTO4Life

Introducing dog to pigeons

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Quick question. I need to intro my pup to pigeons (assuming they cooperate and start trapping!!). More importantly, I need him to get excited about the birds. Is the best way to achieve this to just put a bird down, and let him sniff it out and chase it? I've seen him point a quail (held a couple of seconds), but when I planted a pigeon, he wasn't interested. Do I let the bird get him interested by fluttering and then flying away? Thanks for the help...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Introducing dog to pigeons

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Pull the flight feathers on one wing and then let the pup play and chase. If the pigeons doesn't get hurt the feather will grow back in and it will be able to fly again in a few weeks.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 pm

when mine was young he had no interest in the quail i could get locally, they happened to be japanese quail, so i got pheasant hens and he went bird crazy, when i went back to those quail he was semi-bird crazy...so he needed something to get him going and it was the pheasants...i don't like to use pigeons because of several serious illnesses in NJ. i doubt you have that same risk outside an urban area.

a lot of people tie the feathers in a bunch and play or tickle the dog with them to get them excited.. i know some spinone show people that bring feathers into the ring to get the dogs aroused because spinone are generally very relaxed.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 am

I do the same thing Ezzy does.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:11 am

How old is your pup. If he liked the quail I would stick with them awhile to get him going. Then try the pigeons again.
brenda

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:34 am

He was a later addition (I didn't get him at 8 weeks). He was a year old when I got him, but he needed some obedience work, so that is what we spent a lot of time doing. Tried him on pigeons and quail initially, and he didn't like either. Just sniffed, then took off to run the field. Went for a walk, and found someone else's quail (was a preserve) and he pointed it. I don't know if he just needs to get excited about birds, but I'm going to keep trying anyway as he has some nice ground coverage...

SHOWTIME

Post by SHOWTIME » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 pm

I do NOT start any dogs on quail or any other bird that we plan to pursue in the wild. Most trainers believe small mistakes made on pigeons are not carried over into the field when it comes time to be broke on wild birds. If the pup is not interested in a bird or "birdy" I will let him chase or even catch if real drive and intensity is needed. I believe letting him chase and catch a few can instill a ton of self confidence in a dog and really amp them up to strive to find another. If you try this method do not over do it a few means a few. However it does make it a little tougher on finishing your dog to steady wing and shot it is still a realitively easy task to complete and a common method we use to take a eleven o clock tail and make it a twelve with natural intensity that just had to be found. I hope this helps and good luck.
{~ITSINTHEBLOOD~}