Pup hates her bell!

evening tide

Pup hates her bell!

Post by evening tide » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

Thought I'd go through a little dress rehearsal before the season opens in a few weeks.
My normally full of energy Lab pup became a Zombie as soon as I put her bell on her this morning. We we're able to get into a couple Woodcock which
usually cranks her up even more. Even after that she barely moved over 1/2 speed.
I told my wife to make sure she has it on every time she brings her out today.
Just got the call that the pup goes outside and just stands in the middle of the yard. Won't run, won't pee, won't retrieve, nothing! Just stands there.
I will probably stuff the bell with a little tissue to deaden the noise a bit until she gets used to it. Is this normal? Any other ideas?
Glad I tried it this AM, my hunting buddies would never let me live it down!
BTW 1st gundog for me, she just turned a year. Probably should have tried this sooner, learning curve!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup hates her bell!

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 am

She'll get used to it by a couple weeks. i wouldn't worry about it. My Jack Russell has an anti-bark collar for when he is on the back yard.. He's at half energy level with it on too. I haven't put a battery in it in years. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:03 pm

I have never used a bell [or beeber for that matter] they just anoy me. I am wondering if maybe the bell is hurting your dog's ears.

You might try keeping the bell on at all times for a few days. I am thinking that you don't have a problem and she will get used to it in time. These are just some thoughts, because like I said, I have no experience with the bell. :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

evening tide

Post by evening tide » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:07 pm

I figured she'll get used to it, but it effected her training this AM. That's why I figured I'd try to deaden the noise.
Kind of trying to cram before the start of the season. Stupid me for not trying this sooner.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 pm

evening tide wrote:I figured she'll get used to it, but it effected her training this AM. That's why I figured I'd try to deaden the noise.
Kind of trying to cram before the start of the season. Stupid me for not trying this sooner.
evening tide, FWIW, I would bet that if she has a strong prey drive, and you start finding and shooting birds, she will forget all about the bell. :D Good luck and keep us posted.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:27 pm

evening tide- you didn't say how big a bell :) -
asume it's not one of those christmas tinkle bells but one of those small cow bells

I've used them for years along with beepers-

1st time they might move then stand, move, then stand, pretty soon they're moving arround- never had a Britt hate the bell- even at 8 weeks
course it helps to put it on when they're having fun- can't see why your's should hate it- does it like the gun

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 pm

I had a shorthair that if you belled him he would just walk behind you like he was walking on eggs looking dejected, he was a heck of a good dog and would hunt like crazy without it, guns never bother him

I left it on him for about a week and he still looked so forlorn I couldn't stand it.

I finally took it off
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm

I had the same problem with my pup. She would just stand there. I could walk a quarter mile away, she wouldn't move. I fixed it by putting a christmas bell on her (from a wreath) that was about one and a quater inch in diameter on her. It had a small ring to it. She wore it around the house, for a week. Once she was used to that, I put her bell back on and she had no problems with it, would run at full speed. That may help for you...

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 am

Interesting thought someone had about maybe it hurting the dog's ears - maybe try a larger one with a deeper tone?

When I first put a bell on Winnie - and we're not hunting yet, I just like to have audio confirmation of where she is if we're running around in the woods - but she would just try to look at it. Which is of course comical.

But she quickly got used to it, and now when she hears that bell she gets fired up! Because she knows if it goes on her collar, she is going to get to run around off leash. It's become a very positive association for her.

evening tide

Post by evening tide » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 am

Last night I put a piece of electrical tape on 3 inside surfaces of the cowbell type bell. She was much better, and the bell is still plenty loud.
She is still not 100% used to it but at least she is trainable and had most of her energy back.
Once she gets used to it I may remove the tape or just let it wear through gradually
I think it actually did hurt her ears a bit. Thanks for all of the tips!!

SHOWTIME

Post by SHOWTIME » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 am

Glad to hear your problem is getting better. I had just the opposite problem though. I put a beeper on a young dog for the first time and he tried to out run it like it was chasing him, of course he lived with the beeper on low running beep for the next week and it never affected him a field again; but needless to say he did not live in the house where I would constantly have to hear it either :)
{~ITSINTHEBLOOD~}

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:26 pm

After reading this I went home and put the bell on our 11 week old pup last night. She is used to the collar but the bell threw her. She was bucking around like a little wild mustang trying to get that thing off her, falling all over herself. It was quite a sight. We just sat there on the couch looking at the tv, doing our best to pretend nothing was happening. :) She ran around for a few minutes in distress, but eventually calmed down and went back to her business. Thats when we took it off. I think I'll do it every few days until she quits freaking out. I hope this will help us avoid this same issue down the road.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:25 am

bpenn1980 wrote:After reading this I went home and put the bell on our 11 week old pup last night. She is used to the collar but the bell threw her. She was bucking around like a little wild mustang trying to get that thing off her, falling all over herself. It was quite a sight. We just sat there on the couch looking at the tv, doing our best to pretend nothing was happening. :) She ran around for a few minutes in distress, but eventually calmed down and went back to her business. Thats when we took it off. I think I'll do it every few days until she quits freaking out. I hope this will help us avoid this same issue down the road.
and there you have it- that's what it's all about- instead of hearing talk about how bad it is for a pup or adult- try it yourself with an open mind