Ranging question

webfoot1973

Ranging question

Post by webfoot1973 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:38 am

I have a friend who has a Griff that wont range out. The dog will hunt some then come back to him and just kinda hang out.
she just doesnt range like she should. He has to keep at the dog to go hunt.

Any ideas??? This dog is around 20 months.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Ranging question

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I would start by saying NOTHING to the dog when he comes back . nothing good , nothing bad.

I have also taught this kind of dog a hand signal. When i see him coming back , i point to the right or the left and the dog will turn in that direction and go instead of coming back.

When worse came to worse I used the e-collar. Dog starts coming back, I press low continuous. As soon as the dog turns, I release the button. TIMING IS EVERYTHING.

This is usually a confidence problem or a dog whose breeding is not of a big range.

( Be happy. A bigger problem is a dog that likes to come from behind.) jmo

PS If you've got birds out there and the dog learns he's got to go to find the birds , that is the best way to solve this problem. Don't plant birds to close.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Ranging question

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:12 pm

webfoot1973 wrote: He has to keep at the dog to go hunt.

Stop talking to the dog at all, overhandling of a dog many times will cause less confident dogs to shorten up, or like in this case not get out and hunt at all.