Puppy training

mattson08

Puppy training

Post by mattson08 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:42 am

I am picking up a lab pup next weekend and I am wondering if I should try to introduce it to water before winter gets here. (From Wisconsin) Will waiting till spring delay it too much so the dog won't take to water? please let me know

thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy training

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:11 am

Personally I'd wait until next Spring. Getting introduced to very cold water is not a way to start a pup off in in my opinion. ( I always try to buy a spring pup if possible.) What's wrong with the bathtub in the middle of winter? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Sharon wrote:Personally I'd wait until next Spring. Getting introduced to very cold water is not a way to start a pup off in in my opinion. ( I always try to buy a spring pup if possible.) What's wrong with the bathtub in the middle of winter? :)
I'd be a whole lot more inclined to introduce pup to October water in a play environment than to bath water that is more apt to instill negative associations. There'd be no baths for my retriever pup until he was absolutely loving water work - if ever.

This being a proper retriever bath:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

LOL To each their own. My pups have always enjoyed a warm water bath tub splash. :) never affected their love of the real thing.
October in Ontario is not a time to be introducing pups to water. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:17 pm

I have never had a pup shy from water because it was cold unless you wait till it is frozen. Even the Brits will lay in the mudpuddles after breaking the ice on them. I think we too often use human characteristics when working with animals. Because water is cold to us does not say a polar bear, walrus, or a Lab puppy thinks so. Introduce but don't force. There is no possible way you can go wrong with that approach.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mattson08

Post by mattson08 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Alright thanks for the help guys.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Sharon wrote:LOL To each their own. My pups have always enjoyed a warm water bath tub splash. :) never affected their love of the real thing.
October in Ontario is not a time to be introducing pups to water. :)
unless you are in the mood for a pupsicle :lol:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Sharon wrote:Personally I'd wait until next Spring. Getting introduced to very cold water is not a way to start a pup off in in my opinion. ( I always try to buy a spring pup if possible.) What's wrong with the bathtub in the middle of winter? :)
I'd be a whole lot more inclined to introduce pup to October water in a play environment than to bath water that is more apt to instill negative associations. There'd be no baths for my retriever pup until he was absolutely loving water work - if ever.

This being a proper retriever bath:

siding with Rick on this one- just how cold is October water- pretty darn warm in my opinion- darn better than spring if you're concerned with cool water
I've already had my 11 week old pups in big water-
make it fun- get in with the youngster- not one thing to be afraid of

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:10 am

I got my pup about this time last year. I waited to introduce him to water until the next summer. Looking back I wish I would have done it right away. Can get the dog swimming now but took a lot of patience and CHEETOS! Thanks again cheeto lady.

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:41 am

My Lab Pup(9months) i bathed him before i took him to big water which was only a few weeks ago. He doesnt want to get in the bath and he hates hosepipes and i had to get him clean. He wants to get out of the bath the whole time but when the bath is finished he goes crazy(excitement).
He still doesnt want to get in the bath but it doesnt have a influence on him when we get to dams etc. He just gets in the dams straight away on his own.

But i never forced him into water and let him explore it on his own. And got in with him in the beginning but would not go in, in the winter.
Good luck...