???? For Snips

J. Kelbaugh

???? For Snips

Post by J. Kelbaugh » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Could you give a detailed post on how you train whoa. I know you mentioned in a post one time that you use teh collar on the stomach. Please go into detail. Would be interested in hereing this method and teh pros and cons vrs. other methods. May be a good post for the artical section of the board.

Thanks
Justin

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:29 pm

I will get to it soon, right now going to catch up on some sleep, then catch up on some dog training.
brenda

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:52 pm

OK, this is a very simple way of training Whoa. I put a regular dog collar on the rear. I hook a 6 ft leash to the neck. I will pull up and back on the leash saying Whoa as I move back and forth in front of them. Short periods and slowly build up, a little at a time. I release with OK or a whistle. I stay ready to give a little pull back if they start to move, letting them know I want them standing still. If they move I just slide them back with the rear collar (simply a handle). Then give a tug back on the front leash as I keep moving in front of them. When they are understanding it I move to a few new places, I start kicking something in front of them so they know completly Whoa means stand still. I never raise my voice. When they show they are consistantly understanding it I will go to the field and either hook the CC to the rear collar or keep it as is, I will start doing drills between launchng birds for them. Then slowly start initiating it on birds. Showing them what you want will follow over on birds.
brenda

bigbyrd97

Post by bigbyrd97 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 am

Snips At what age do you start training whoa?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 am

I don`t do my personal dogs until around a yr old. This method is mild enough to start younger if you want. 8-9 mo.
brenda