Chasing Birds

Jonathan

Chasing Birds

Post by Jonathan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I have a 8 month old DD that has been great his first season on wild birds. He is holding steady to flush and retrieving great. At what point should i try to reign him in on the chasing after the flush? he has slowed down on the tweetys but when a hen pheasant or miss occures he is pretty determined to catch the flyers. Should I continue to let him run and learn on his own that he cant catch them, or try to hold him back. The max distance he will chase is around 200 yards but it doesnt seem to be getting any closer.

romeo212000

Re: Chasing Birds

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Just work on using a little light stim from the collar to turn him off of tweety's, and non-desireable birds. As far as steadying him to wing and shot, or even flush for that matter. Wait until well after this bird season and look into it this summer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:36 pm

He's not "steady to flush" if he going after the birds on the flush. How long is he pointing? Long enough to be considered "steady to point"? I would want to remember that he is 8 months old. Is he collar conditioned?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Sharon wrote:He's not "steady to flush" if he going after the birds on the flush. How long is he pointing? Long enough to be considered "steady to point"? I would want to remember that he is 8 months old. Is he collar conditioned?

He is steady until I flush the bird, which I am ok with. My question is am i going to create any bad habits that are hard to correct next year by letting him be a puppy and continue to chase birds i dont kill? I have only used the collar with light stimulation and the tone and the here command.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I let my dogs chase until they start holding a point - however long that takes. Then they are on the CC for the point and the flush work at whatever age that may be. If you dog is pointing ( not flash pointing), then it's time to steady him up for the flush imo. I'm no expert . Maybe an expert will respond to your post. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Sharon, I am no expert but I think you are right on. I would wait till bird season is over then start my yard work (whoa training). Once he knows what whoa is and you have transitioned him to whoaing on the ecollar, I would dry run (no check cord, no birds) him in the field and see if he stops on stimulation. If he is trained well enough to stop then he is probably ready to have the chase taken out of him on birds. Never stimulate when the bird is on the ground, just stimulate when the bird is in the air. You will need homing pigeons and a remote launcher. If you don't have that, then you will need to use a check cord, and a helper to flush the bird. Don't let him catch the bird or it will set your training back. This is just the Readers Digest version.
Last edited by AZ Brittany Guy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Sharon, I am no expert but I think you are right on. I would wait till bird season is over then start my yard work (whoa training). Once he knows what whoa is and you have transitioned him to whoaing on the ecollar, I would dry run (no check cord, no birds) him in the field and see if he stops on stimulation. If he is trained well enough to stop then he is probably ready to have the chase taken out of him on birds. Never stimulate when the bird is on the ground, just stimulate when the bird is in the air. You will need homing pigeons and a remote launcher. If you don't have that, then you will need to use a check coard, and a helper to flush the bird. Don't let him catch the bird or it will set your training back. This is just the Readers Digest version.

Ditto stage one with young dogs cue for bird in the air don't put pressure on the bird during the learning stages
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 am

Thank you for the replies, I will keep on doing what I am doing.