good trainer in ND or Sask

scott_r

good trainer in ND or Sask

Post by scott_r » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Can someone reccomend a good trainer for my GSP in ND or Sask Canada? What is the cost per month on average?
My dog is trained to come on whistle, gun trained but is ready for bird work. He's 9 months and I'm finding no time to train.

Cheers!!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: good trainer in ND or Sask

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Pretty tough to find someone who is training this time of the year. Quite a few pro trainers come up to Sask. and ND every summer. Check out http://www.region14aftca.com and contact some of the folks from the clubs there. They will know better who is up to what around the province.

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Im not looking for something for this season but looking to book for spring/early summer 2010.

Cheers!!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am

If you do an advanced search and use words like "ND trainer" or "North Dakota trainer" you should find some info. Quite a few names have been mentioned on this forum. I use Greg Dixon of Spring Valley, WI. He trains in ND each summer.

Have you considered sending your young dog to one of the pro's winter camps in a location like Texas? Greg trains in Texas each winter.

Try this link to a previous thread: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... rth+dakota
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Brad

Post by Brad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:18 am

I was happy with http://www.wildspurkennels.com located about 15 minutes west of Grand Forks, ND.

Brad

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm

BigShooter wrote: I use Greg Dixon of Spring Valley, WI. He trains in ND each summer.
Have you considered sending your young dog to one of the pro's winter camps in a location like Texas? Greg trains in Texas each winter.

Try this link to a previous thread: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... rth+dakota
Hey Mark,

Have you seen Greg lately? Did you go to the Wirehair trial in NE a few weeks ago?

Greg has one of my Weim pups on his string. Her name is Cherrystone La Reine de Pearls (Marie is her call name). She placed 3rd in Open Puppy at the Wirehair trial in NE a few weeks ago with Greg handling her.

She is for sale.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Pam,

I haven't seen Greg since 9/26 when I picked up two of my then 5 mo. old GSP pups that he had briefly for some "intro to quail" work. He said he planned to be out of town at trials for the following six weeks or more so I picked up the pups and took them pheasant hunting in ND. I'll probably send a dog or two with him when he heads to Texas in Jan. We can't get much done up here in Minne'snowta' after winter hits.

I just played with a springer spaniel pup tonight while visiting a fellow about a couple of replacement doors for one of my older diesel Suburbans. The pup was for sale, naturally. Fortunately I'm already one dog over my limit. I have GSPs now but sometimes I think it'd be fun to have other breeds too - I'll have one of those & one of those ..... ooh ... that one looks cute ... I'll try one of those also !!! LOL :lol:

Too bad I missed the WH trial in NE. Congrats on the third place showing!

When did Greg get your pup? Was she on his string 9/18-20 at the MN GSP trial in WI?
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:30 am

CherrystoneWeims wrote: Greg has one of my Weim pups on his string. Her name is Cherrystone La Reine de Pearls (Marie is her call name). She placed 3rd in Open Puppy at the Wirehair trial in NE a few weeks ago with Greg handling her.

She is for sale.
I've seen that pup at Greg's place, he is impressed with her. She really looks on her game, calm around game too.
Dan

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:16 am

Wyndancer wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote: Greg has one of my Weim pups on his string. Her name is Cherrystone La Reine de Pearls (Marie is her call name). She placed 3rd in Open Puppy at the Wirehair trial in NE a few weeks ago with Greg handling her.

She is for sale.
I've seen that pup at Greg's place, he is impressed with her. She really looks on her game, calm around game too.
I wish I could afford to keep her. But I have her sister, Scarlett, from the first breeding out with a handler.

Mark,

She went to Greg in the spring. He took her to ND this summer to run her on wild birds. He just started running her in trials this month.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Mark,

She went to Greg in the spring. He took her to ND this summer to run her on wild birds. He just started running her in trials this month.
My one year old female was with Greg at summer camp this year as well. So that made us both members of the same PTA (Parent - Trainers Association)! If we were in the same neck of the woods we could swap stories about our "wild" children. :lol:

Sounds like you have a real nice pup there.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM