just got the new 5 month old pup PICS to come

sjkennels

just got the new 5 month old pup PICS to come

Post by sjkennels » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:10 pm

drove down to south wind kennels today and picked up the pup and i was very impressed with the kennel top knoch if you ever need or want a dog i suggest you talk to steve he is a good person and he knows his dogs so keep him in mind. but i got my pup and im gonna spend a few days getting to know him then the training begins first
teaching the dog his name,
then start clicker training, here training, and take him on walks with some planted some pigeons, start working it on the fly away drills, and then intro to the gun, and backing drills,kennel training, and then start with the stand command on the barrel before moving to whoa, intro to e-collar. but thats a start on his training so hopefully the last part of this bird season i might be able to hunt him but im not gonna get in a hurry to just depends on how well he takes to the training i will post some pics of him tomorrow
kick'em up knock'em down

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: just got the new 5 month old pup PICS to come

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Enjoy your pup. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

xNF

Post by xNF » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:34 am

Congrats with then new addition to your family. Looks like he has a great life ahead of him.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Congratulations on the new pup. No reason not to take him out in the fields - you don't have to shoot.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm

o i will. first he has gotta learn to come before i do that though. and i am gonna run him on pigeons and quail first then take him to a preserver and cover all my bases on birds before i turn him lose in a field. i would sure hate if he pointed a pheasant and something happen and it made him blink birds. i put him on a pigeon today had a good little breeze when i put the pigeon out. then as soon as i got the pup out the breeze went away. but he did catch wind of it and pointed for about 2 seconds. then kinda ran around but he did see the bird and i had the wife flush the pigeon. it didnt really work on his pointing but he did get to see a bird fly. so that was good and started him on the clicker training.
kick'em up knock'em down

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

My puppies go to the field as soon as they can get around. That means finding some short cover and they will be there by the time they are 6 weeks or so. Its more important in my opinion to give them a weekly trip at least and worry about come and the other things on the other days. And if they find a pheasant all the better. Would rather they get spooked at 8 weeks than to wait till older. But I have never had a pup that developed a problem from finding a bird, no matter how big the bird was.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 pm

the problem with that is the pup wont come to me now and i dont wanna turn him loose and not be able to call him back to me i do have a garmin but i dont wanna go chase the dog all of a field and i have herd from other people that had there dogs start blinking birds from being spooked by them i know he is fine around pigeons do you think that wouldnt scare a pup with a pheasant jumping up ?
kick'em up knock'em down

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:46 am

A 5 month old that has been worked with pigeons should be ready for a bigger bird. I understand your problem with the pup not coming but since you just got it you need to spend a couple of weeks at least just bonding. While doing that you can be working on come. Use it at feeding time or for a treat and he will get the idea pretty quick. Then when you do take him to a fiekd let him drag a check cord that doesn't have a knot at the end where he could get it caught on something. Makes it a lot easier to catch him if needed and will give you a little more control.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

That's great!! Lookin' forward to the pics..... :D