Retrieving Issues

MNGSP

Retrieving Issues

Post by MNGSP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

My 6 month old Shorthair was doing great at retrieving anything you tossed out for her. She would promptly bring back anything you tossed out for her and released it on command.

Now to the problem. About two weeks ago, my Dad let some neighbor kids into our back yard to play with her while he was out working in the yard. This is fine and dandy, as I like the exposure to kids. The thing I didn't like was that the kids were throwing a stick for her, and would then chase her until they got it from her.
Now every time I throw something out for her, she will get it, run at me, and then dash around me like saying "come get me!"

What can I do to remedy this problem?

As of now she only knows basic commands (Off/No/Inside/Potty)

Thanks in advance!!

Jon

tradhuntr

might help

Post by tradhuntr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:34 pm

after giving the fetch command and she doesn't respond by bring it back just walk away from her and let her come to you,when she comes and returns the toy to you giver her a treat and praise praise praise. if she drops the toy and comes to you get it and do it again till she know if she brings it back to you she will get a treat.
if that doesn't work use a check cord or a long leash and use it wile playing to force her to bring it to you.same goes with this praise praise and more praise.
never chase and never scold her when she returns to you with or with out the toy or dummy !!! that will only put you even further behind with fetch and the here command!!!

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:44 pm

Put the dog on a check cord and toss the stick or dummy and milk the cord back to you.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. As of right now, I was trying to keep everything very, nonforceful, I guess you could say. I was avoiding the tugging in with the leash thing trying to keep it something fun for her. It might be my only option though.

As far as the treat thing goes; I have been avoiding using treats as a method of praise as well. I figure the dog will only perform the command if treats are present. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the tips!

Jon

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm

what tak is trying to get across is to use the check cord to limit the pup's options. he said "milk the cord" back to you. he is saying don't use force or punishment, just use the cord to make it clear to pup that the right thing to do is to come back to you. (am i right tak?).

margaret, i think it was, posted another great idea on this awhile ago. that was to play fetch with the pup in a hallway (doors closed), so pup would only have the option of coming back. would obviously not work outside, but you could do some inside sessions to get the notion of coming back into the pup's head, and then do some check cord sessions.

would completely agree with the idea of not using force or punishment at this age.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:24 am

I think I'm going to give the checkcord a try. It's really the only option.

The hallway would work, except that she'd just stay at the other end, and try to get away if I stepped towards her....

It's frustrating when something was working so well, and a simple game changed everything. Oh well, it's not as bad as it could be.

Thanks guys for the tips,

I'll let you know the outcome after a couple weeks.

Jon

pear

Post by pear » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 am

MNGSP, to keep consistant, and even be able to work on bad days try the check cord in the hall. I'd start outside, I really think you'll be amazed how quick this will fix. Let us know....."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey