Cocker trainer in need of help.

EllandChris

Cocker trainer in need of help.

Post by EllandChris » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:06 am

I have a 8 month cocker pup. She has been sitting to the whistle on the lead for the last month and is very good at this. We have also been sitting her, dropping the lead and walking away, then returning and praising. This too she is very good at. Although we can't seem to make the transistion from this to sitting when out in the field. We have tried leaving the lead on, but dangling behind her as she quarters, and she will sit sometimes, but not all the time. When we first started doing this she was excellent, stopping on the whistle and sitting until we collected the lead. She has now begun to run off when we get within 1 metre of her and not returning. It has turned into a very frustrating game of chase. We were told to get hold of her and shake her, but I challenge anyone to get hold of her when she doesn't want to be caught! I am pulling my hair out. It is so frustrating and i don't know how to solve it. She can be good one day, and awful the next. I don't want this behaviour to continue. Please Help!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Cocker trainer in need of help.

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:06 am

She is 8 months old, still a puppy. Training may take a couple of years after she is past the puppy stage. Sounds like you are well started but she is quite young to expect too much consistantly from her. An e-collar may be the answer in a few months but for now think I would try a real light extension on the CC she is dragging and see if you can get close enough to control her. At this point she is just testing you. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 am

Stop chasing her and get a longer CC and eventually a shock collar, also are you punishing her when you do finally catch her? if so you are only reinforcing her not wanting to get caught. Many young or lightly started dogs get very confused at this point the handler is commanding them to come and then when the dog comes they get spanked, shaken, scolded etc. The dog can tell you are frustrated, this was my biggest hindrance when I began trying to train my own dogs, you have to be patient very very patient. If the dog doesn't do it correctly every time it isnt the end of the world. Just keep plugging away you will get there.

The best bit of advice I ever got was NEVER give a command that you cannot enforce, you are setting yourself and dog up for failure and frustration.

The dog is young cut her some slack.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:06 am

I'm not a Pro. But I would give up the chase. Next time he takes off after sitting play hide and seek. When he's running away duck down in the grass or hide behind a tree. Keep him in sight but don't let him see you. He'll start looking for you with his nose and come to you. When he does come to you don't punish him. Give him praise and then work on the sit. If he runs off again same thing. He'll learn if he runs off before you get to him he'll loose you again.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:11 am

I agree with the above post. I have two working cockers of my own and train others for friends. None of them have ever had a check collar round their necks nor an e- collar either. Those things just weren't needed. My spaniels are very "hard going" trial bred dogs ,not meek and mild little things but if you can show yourself to be fun -fun - fun to a puppy then you will get it to focus more on you.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:53 am

Work her on two 50' check cords. Attach one cc to the snap of the other. Have one person hold each end. Walk the dog along and blow the whistle. Both of you snub up on the ropes, stopping her right there.

When she's perfect at this, drop down to one cord. Sit her and call her to you, stopping her halfway in.

Now start taking her on walks and letting her run to the end of the 50' cc. Blow the whistle. When she doesn't sit, tip her upside down and command SIT!!.

I next put the ecollar on them and do the whole thing over. The ecollar makes it all easy.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 am

Mike50 wrote:I'm not a Pro. But I would give up the chase. Next time he takes off after sitting play hide and seek. When he's running away duck down in the grass or hide behind a tree. Keep him in sight but don't let him see you. He'll start looking for you with his nose and come to you. When he does come to you don't punish him. Give him praise and then work on the sit. If he runs off again same thing. He'll learn if he runs off before you get to him he'll loose you again.
perfect.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Work her on two 50' check cords. Attach one cc to the snap of the other. Have one person hold each end. Walk the dog along and blow the whistle. Both of you snub up on the ropes, stopping her right there.

When she's perfect at this, drop down to one cord. Sit her and call her to you, stopping her halfway in.

Now start taking her on walks and letting her run to the end of the 50' cc. Blow the whistle. When she doesn't sit, tip her upside down and command SIT!!.

I next put the ecollar on them and do the whole thing over. The ecollar makes it all easy.

Excellent advice. I visited my dogs' breeder once and of course he immediately put me to work. He did exactly what you said and i was very impressed with how well that worked. I hadn't seen it before. Being on the end of one line, I think I got more of a workout then the dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett