Males vs Females and training abilities

kgoble78

Males vs Females and training abilities

Post by kgoble78 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Does anyone have an opinion when it comes to male vs female dogs when it comes to training? Is one easier to train than another? I wanted to take that into consideration when it comes time to get my next pup. Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Males vs Females and training abilities

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:49 pm

it is the breeding and the dog not the gender as to which is easier to train
I have had hard headed hard to train females and males and have easy natural in each

females have heat cycles males don't some females get goofy when cycles come in plus you don't want to hunt females while in heat as to not get any chances of a male getting to her resulting in unwanted litters

and both mark territory males just hike their legs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:26 am

I don't know if it is how I train, the kind of dogs I like or what, but it seems to me that, over the years, most of the females have been a little easier to train and to handle than most of the males. A tad more biddable and a tad more desrous of hangin in there with me.

Not a great deal of difference, but enough so that I noticed. NOt every female, but most of them.

Just my experience with a relative handful of pointers.

RayG

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:50 am

I have never noticed any difference between the sexes . I haven't really noticed any difference in females when they are in heat,although I know this is often said of them.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:07 am

[quote="kninebirddog"]it is the breeding and the dog not the gender as to which is easier to train

I agree 100%. I've had females for 40 years as I thought they were easier but I have a 10mo male now and he 'gets it' quickly.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:43 am

I agree with knine. I have trained 4 females and 4 males over the past 6 years and I see no big difference. Beyond what knine says, I think the time you put into socialization when they are young has a bearing on how well they train.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:57 am

My personal & somewhat limited experience with potty training pups: my male pups seem to be able to retain their urine for a longer period of time a bit sooner than the female pups can. Like humans the females have a shorter urinary tract.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:08 pm

The only difference I can say I've noted was, that often times the males seem to mature a lil more slowly than female littermates from the very same litter.
I've seen this in one case last January through March with 2 brothers and a sister. The sister got it and put it together much faster than the males and I attribute a lot of that to the males just still being a lil more "puppyish" and goofy at the time. One male has remained here and is now every bit as good as the female, but it just took a lil more time for him to calm down and focus on the task I gave him.
I've also been working with a similar group this year, from an entirely unrelated breeding. The female at 19 mo.s, has put it together much faster than both males, as both males still seem to be a bit "puppyish" and have a harder time focusing on the given task yet. I've also worked with yet another female from this breeding that seems to be the same, more mature and more focused. In another month or two, I fully expect the males will have matured that lil bit more and will be doing every bit as good of a job as their sister is doing right now.

Just some observations from the past year of training.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:50 pm

I agree that gender has nothing to do with it. In my experience, the females I have owned and trained have been more hard headed than the males. I know this doesn't mean anything, it is just the way it turned out. I do believe however, that in general, females will mature a little faster than males.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Females do mature faster compared to males of the same breeding. Males mature slower both physically and mentally, but once they get there, they are every bit as good.