New to training, new to board

hotrod13

New to training, new to board

Post by hotrod13 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:27 am

Hello my name is Rod and I live in Oklahoma, and have recently purchased a German Short Hair pup (3 months old). I like to hunt both pheasant and quail, and have a few newbie dog training questions. I am somewhat confused on training methods one person says this one says that.

Here is my situation:

The pup is crate trained (inside dog), I let it run in the house to get familiar with other dogs and family.
I run the dog about 30 to 60 minutes a day in a field and use the commands I have taught her and let her retrieve a few times.

I have taught her 'kennel', 'come' and 'sit' and just started 'heel'. She retrieves well (4 or 5 times, then wants to play), so I just keep it short. I have also scented a dummy and can throw into high grass and have her scent it out with 'dead bird' command.

I have a friend who has 2 7 month old pointer pups that are just past whoa and are pointing set birds, and can be shot over.

I have taken my young pup out with his dogs and staked her with the ones not working while working the other dogs, so she can hear the gunfire (blank) from about 100 to 200 yards away, then when done training we let them all run together.

I have set a live quail for her (she was leashed and could not get the bird), and of course she got real excited.

So here are my plans from now (this is where I need help).

I plan on getting here well rehearsed with the 'come', 'heel', and 'sit' commands (and fetch) for the next few months, run her, let her play, and use the commands during this 'fun' time.

Introduce the "whoa" command at 5 1/2 to 6 months of age.

I know I am probably missing a bunch of stuff here, but would just like to make a good hunting dog, I have the time to do it right and just want to make sure I am on the right track.

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Rod
Last edited by hotrod13 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: New to training, new to board

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:02 am

Rod~Sounds like your doing a good job. Make sure she can see those dogs working those birds when she's staked out. I wouldn't use the sit command till after she's whoa broke, or you may find that she wants to sit on whoa. Heel is probably something you want to hold off on too, or you might take some out of the run out of her before she realizes she has it. It's a good command to have, but I'd wait to polish it until she's a year plus.

I'd probably wait to do any real whoa breaking till she's a year plus too. Most GSP's come along slower in the pointing department than Pointers, so don't worry that she's not as broke as the Pointers your buddy has. DON'T push her training to keep up with them.

Just remember not to burn her out, let her be a pup. It sounds like she has a lot of natural ability which always helps the novice trainer. She'll probably teach you as much about training and hunting as you will her, if your lucky, even more. Good luck, and have fun with your pup. :)

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:24 am

One other comment. I don't think 'hup" has any place in a pointing dog's training. I don't know how or for what you are thinking but that is a term used to get a flushing dog to sit so you can keep them within shooting distance.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hotrod13

Post by hotrod13 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks for the replies, as I said I am totally new to this and will back off the sit and heel commands and training. Ezzy me being new to this, my buddy uses 'hup' to get the dogs to change directions (that is where I got that term), what is the correct command for direction change?

Thanks so much,

Rod

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 pm

I don't know if there is a correct term. I use " yo", some use an arm signal.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:46 pm

wow- sounds like you and your dog are doing great- enjoy it- don't make it so much as trying to keep up with your freinds dogs- read your dog and adjust your attitide to fit- teamwork

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:18 am

Shadow wrote:wow- sounds like you and your dog are doing great- enjoy it- don't make it so much as trying to keep up with your freinds dogs- read your dog and adjust your attitide to fit- teamwork
Excellent advise.
I use 2 pips on the whistle or 2 beeps on the collar. Once mine got the whistle commands ingrained they were a godsend for me. But as Sharon pointed out its what ever works for you.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 pm

"hey" works for me.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 pm

hotrod13 wrote:Thanks for the replies, as I said I am totally new to this and will back off the sit and heel commands and training. Ezzy me being new to this, my buddy uses 'hup' to get the dogs to change directions (that is where I got that term), what is the correct command for direction change?

Thanks so much,

Rod
I know alot of people who use the "hup" command to change the dog's direction. I use two toots on the whistle, simply because I don't like having to be vocal the entire time I am in the field. I also believe they respond to the whistle more readily {less stress on me}.

Anyway, you can teach a dog to obey whatever method or term you prefer. Sounds like you are doing great right now. As others have stated, just don't be in too big of a hurry. Let him have lots of fun while he is young.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:26 pm

I forgot to say welome to the forum. I just returned from Oklahoma. Good bird numbers out there and a variety. We had a very gracious host while there, known as tommy boy on the forum, as well as Tom's wife, who invited us to dinner more than once. Really good people out there!!!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

redandwhite

Post by redandwhite » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I think what every one is saying is correct but taking your time cannot be reinforced enough. Don't plan your training too far ahead and don't train according to age, every dog is different and just because one dog is further along than another at a certain age does not mean it will be ant better in the long run.

hotrod13

Post by hotrod13 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the information. I am all ears, and wanted to know what to expect and I can certainly see I do need to go at the dogs pace and let her dictate her training instead of me thinking it needs to be done at a certain time. I really enjoy all the help, and will certainly ask more questions in the future when problems to arise as I can see there are a lot of helpful people on here. Thanks again for your time and information, I really appreciate it.

Rod