what to train for to run nstra

sjkennels

what to train for to run nstra

Post by sjkennels » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:19 pm

i have another thread about ff my dogs before or after breaking them. but i am going to start to try and break my two short hairs after hunting season. i wanna run nstra next year so what should i concentrate my training on. my goal for starting when we get more day light is to train my dogs to be.

here broke, collar condition, whoa broke, handle, whistle trained, turn, quarter, honor/back, steady to wind,shot,fall, stand walking birds, stand bad flying birds,

is this good enough or should i add somthing else to the list?

add anything you think .
kick'em up knock'em down

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: what to train for to run nstra

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 pm

NSTRA is a timed event. It requires a dog who can find birds quickly , closely and retrieve quickly.Points are given for several skills. Google NSTRA and you will see what is scored.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 pm

i read on there website only thing that i could find thats scored is finds backs and retrieves. but i figured if i had well trained dog that would not break after the shot i might do better. but if all i need to do is to have a dog that will point honor and retrieve. then i only have two things to train for to run nstra. but i also guide and i would want my dog to be through the fall for saftey reasons. so would i have to allow my dog to break after the shot doing trials to do any good? and then go back and reinforce the steady through fall and confuse the dog?
kick'em up knock'em down

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 pm

sjkennels wrote:i read on there website only thing that i could find thats scored is finds backs and retrieves. but i figured if i had well trained dog that would not break after the shot i might do better. but if all i need to do is to have a dog that will point honor and retrieve. then i only have two things to train for to run nstra. but i also guide and i would want my dog to be through the fall for saftey reasons. so would i have to allow my dog to break after the shot doing trials to do any good? and then go back and reinforce the steady through fall and confuse the dog?
IMO, you would be at a disadvantage in a NSTRA trial if your dog was STWS, because of the time constraints. Also, you will never be able to have the dog switch back and forth depending on the venue.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:22 am

NSTRA your dog should be able to run strong for 30 minutes for regular trials as you have to run a full 30 minutes

Steady to Wing shot and fall ...is not a bad thing it will add a few points to the obedience and also will help your dog look better through the flush versus dogs that get sloppy as the handler comes into flush..I know I score a dog a couple points higher when I have judge NSTRA trials :wink:

NSTRA is NOT a who gets x amount of birds the fastest and your done type trial ..your dog must activley hunt for the full thirty minutes

Being able to call your dog off safety birds is a very good thing or marked birds this is where a bird flys before a point can be established the dog can not repoint for 3 minutes or the bird is taken out for a no score

And My Dog PIcabo her sire Lobos Mahogany Blaze went from being a NSTRA ch to an AKC FC AFC and snips Fritz dog has gone from NSTRA to title with a MH Prize II some retrieve title so Yes dogs ca go back and forth if you keep the trials fun and the training where YOU want it and the money and the time to do them.

Your retrieves have to you as you have to keep a foot planted where you are when the dog begins the retrieve
you may advance to your dog for a release but Having a whistle or a commanded release for the retrieve would save a few seconds but again NSTRA your dog is required to run the full thirty minutes or it will be DQ'd

www.nstra.org there is the rules and guidelines
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Yes but your likely to lose a lot of valuable time if your dog does not mark the bird down well or if you don't fold it when you hit it. I say break your dog steady to wing and shot, and be willing to let your dog break a little sooner at the trials. It adds an element of steadiness, but your not losing all of that time.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:09 pm

romeo212000 wrote:Yes but your likely to lose a lot of valuable time if your dog does not mark the bird down well or if you don't fold it when you hit it. I say break your dog steady to wing and shot, and be willing to let your dog break a little sooner at the trials. It adds an element of steadiness, but your not losing all of that time.
Good advise!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:56 am

We always trained dogs steady to wing for NSTRA. They could break at the shot. Betwen trials we would just flush birds and call the dog off, that keeps the dog steady if he bumps a bird or if you have a safty and cannot shoot.
brenda

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 am

You should also train your stomach to handle some of that clear liquid in the mason jars, WOW!

On the handling side, I had trained my dogs to do simple blinds for my duck hunting and the NAVHDA stuff.
Twice I sent my dogs on blind retrieves because they did not mark or could not see the bird down in which only one leg was down due to my bad shooting. (As a rule not really needed or desired for running NSTRA just coincidently I had). Should have seen the look on the judges face when I asked if I could set my dog up for a blind retrieve. :lol: He let us scored pretty high too as I recall.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick