A PAIN in the butt neighbor and a GSP pup

gspkimber

A PAIN in the butt neighbor and a GSP pup

Post by gspkimber » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 am

As you all know, I have an eight month old GSP. We live in a neighborhood with an HOA (which is a whole other story) and a new neighbor just moved in. For the last 5 months since I have had her she doesn't bark unless the cat jumps on the walls, her and my other dog are playing, or she wants to come in the house. It is not aggressive barking, usually whining at the most. None of my other neighbors have complained and we have even specifically asked them if they hear her and they have said no. And now the neighbor in back of us, who just moved in from a retirement community, has an issue with her.

He called the police last night while we were not home and made an official complaint against her. Now I HAVE to do something about this.... This is the first time I have had to deal with something like this. I am assuming the next thing to do is get a bark collar. I want to let you know also I am not introducing an e-collar for training until next year.

Is using a bark collar going to mess her up at all?
What kind of reccommendations do you all have for bark collars?
Is this even the right step to take?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: A PAIN in the butt neighbor and a GSP pup

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:42 am

No a bark collar will not mess her up

Tri Tronics bark collars are good

and FYI do not start at the light levels and work up start at a 3 or 4 the dog will bark and yelp do not save the dog from the collar let the dog learn that the bark comes with a price and you want to start with a price that the dog doesn't want to pay again

some dogs learn how to bark through the lower levels
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

windswept

Post by windswept » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:22 am

The bark collar will probably help alot. I have been in your situation and it is frustrating knowing that your dog is irritating the neighbors with behavior that really doesn't bother most people that much. My dogs really don't bark much in their kennels but do when they have the run of the yard. I used to leave a couple at a time in the yard while I was gone but that has come to an end due to the barking.
P.S. the Tritronics bark collar is a good one.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:42 am

Your neighbor can complain to the police all he wants. You need to research your local noise laws and comply with those. Where we are there is nothing the HOA or police can do before 10pm. We just kennel the dogs in the house at night or leave bark collars on them at night when they are in the kennels. Sounds like you have a crotchety old fart living behind you and nothing will probably ever make him happy. If he really wanted to solve the problem and be a good neighbor, he would have called you directly and asked that you keep the dog quiet.

We had a neighbor that complained that the dogs barked too much and called the police on us also...police showed up said that the neighbor complained and said there was nothing he could do other than let me know the neighbor complained. I confronted the neighbor and asked that in the future he call me if there is a problem and we have had no more visits from the police. I would assume if your dog was a real problem your other neighbors would have already let you know about it.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:59 am

jhoughton wrote:Your neighbor can complain to the police all he wants. You need to research your local noise laws and comply with those. Where we are there is nothing the HOA or police can do before 10pm. We just kennel the dogs in the house at night or leave bark collars on them at night when they are in the kennels. Sounds like you have a crotchety old fart living behind you and nothing will probably ever make him happy. If he really wanted to solve the problem and be a good neighbor, he would have called you directly and asked that you keep the dog quiet.

We had a neighbor that complained that the dogs barked too much and called the police on us also...police showed up said that the neighbor complained and said there was nothing he could do other than let me know the neighbor complained. I confronted the neighbor and asked that in the future he call me if there is a problem and we have had no more visits from the police. I would assume if your dog was a real problem your other neighbors would have already let you know about it.
I agree and remember that cops are usually a poor source for legal advice because they often don't know the laws themselves. This ain't gonna be the last problem you have with your hyper-sensitive, weenie whiner, neighbor so you might as well start throwing rock salt on his lawn now.

tori

Post by tori » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:08 am

challenge that complaint.

then turn him in because his grass isnt green enough :D

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 am

GSPkimber -

You have been given some good acvice.

First and foremost, your new neighbor had a responsibility to research the heighborhood before they bought. You were there first and yes that counts, under the law. If they didn't like the neighborhood they should not have moved in.

Check out your noise ordinances, both state and local. Do it yourself so you know you have the correct information.

If the police show up again, demand a signed compaint or tell them to go away. Without a signed compaint, they have no business doing more than informing you. If the neighbor signs a compaint and it is baseless under the law, they are liable in a court of law and the burden of proof is on them. A false compaint can be the basis for a harrassment suit. The local cops won't want any part of that one...trust me. While police generally do not have any objections to harrassing someone for their own purposes, they generally do not appreciate being used by someone else to commit harrassment. When push comes to shove, a police officer, or any enforcement officer, for that matter, has to be able to defend their actions in court.
At some point, I would go over to that neighbor and point out any deficiencies on their property, in particular...expensive ones, such as dead tree that need removal, an unsighly fence, an untrimmed lawn, a vehicle with no license plate or an expired or out of state license plate, etc. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY does absolutely everything according to ALL the laws. You cannot. You can find something I am sure.

Some folks need to understand that if they get in your stuff and start trying to tell you how to live in your home, it is perfectly fine for you to get into their stuff also and mess with THEIR lives. If you start hammering them with things they need to fix,espeically if those things are costly, they might just decide that being a good neighbor and minding their own business is a better choice than being a PIA . Remember, the best defense is a good offense.

BTW, the advice on a bark collar is right on. I have Dogtra collars. They are rechargeable, which I like. YOu may prefer replaceable batteries. The 300 has a buzzer setting, but another dog barking will set it off. The 500 does not have a buzzer setting, but it wil not be activated unless the dog that is wearing it is doing the barking.

RayG

gspkimber

Post by gspkimber » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This is great advice. I appreciate your time and detailed responses.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:17 am

Also call up the animal control in your area and ask them what determines a nuisance dog. Some people hate dogs and have a friend who their dog hating neighbor would agitate the dog and then record the barking and turn him in...a couple trails cams caught the neighbor causing the dog to bark.

Might also look up in your HOA rules what the guidelines are also...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.