Remote sit help

mikko

Remote sit help

Post by mikko » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Have 16 month old lab. was not going to train to the whistle but change my mind after my first season of hunting roosters. Next year I also want a waterdog so I will need a whistle to do blind retrieves from a distance. So I have started him to sit at the whistle while walking at my side he is very solid at this. However I can not get him to sit away from me. I have tried (he was collar conditioned) e collar but he runs to me then sits quickly. Have tried check cord shortly around a pole to stop him. He did not like this and pretty much shut down with confusion. Please help. Have read dokkens method in his book but don't want to carry platforms to were I train. Mikko has very high energy and drive to retrieve. However seems slow to training (alot of that is due to this is the first dog I did much formal training and am learning along side him)

He is solid on heel, stay, here, kennel, single and double retrieves and was FF
Please help

High Brass

Re: Remote sit help

Post by High Brass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Mikko you may want to try a variation of the Smith whoa post method. I will try to explain this so you can understand, if not let me know. You need four 20 foot long check cords. this allows for the drill to be done in one session in three differant locations. Take a check cord and tie it to a tree or stake or some thing solid. Do this with two others in differant locations some distance apart also. check cord the dog in aquartering fashion to the snap swivel on the first check cord . Take the check cord and tie a half hitch around the flank of the dog and run the swivel end to the D-ring on the collar [Plain old leather 1 inch wide]. The stake end of the rope should be at the dogs tail. Leave the rope a bit loose between the dog and the stake. Say nothing during any part of this drill. Hand over hand on the rope you brought the dog in on back away from the dog. When you get to the end pull sharply then relax the rope this should encourage the dog to sit at a distance from you when not at your side. If the dog does not sit repeat this till he figures out he should sit. Say nothing. If he gets goofy and jumps or rolls around say nothing just set the rope again. When the dog sits walk to him hand over hand if he stands set the rope again till he sits. When you get to him sitting unclip the staked lead. Tap the dog on the head twice to release him and check cord him to the next staked lead. repeat the process to the next two leads. When the dog completely understands after many repatitions of this drill you can transition to the E-collar on the flank using the lowest setting the dog will react to. This flank E-collar using continuos stimulation will allow you to correct the dog in the field. When perfect in the field with distractions introduce a verbal command or whistle.
It's really tough to explain this method but it does work.
If you need to talk to me feel free to call 217-246-5403
Yhanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

mikko

Post by mikko » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm

High brass
thank you for your reply. the system sounds great. think I get the picture. Before I read your reply I did one more session in my driveway while shoveling snow. Mikko and I had a huge break through. while he was playing and eating snow I would whistle and he knew exactly what to do. He sat right down. Then I would release him and do it again after his attention was else were. At the end I would call him to me and stop him half way back and he sat right down. Funny how things work out. Tried for over a week with the e collar and check cord with almost no progress. Tonight I had no leash checkcord or e collar and got a great response. I think it is because he knew he wasn't gonna be doing any retreives (which gets him excited and brain dead). However I think the system you laid out will definetly help me drill this new command home. We are along ways from perfection but on the right track now. Thanks alot.

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Mikko
I think the key to not confusing the dog is the drill mentioned and the continuos flank collar. After a while the collar can be transitioned to the neck with continuos until compliance being the key. Momentary stimulation [tap tap] on the neck should be used to correct things other than sitting [or whoa in a pointing dog], or things involving movement. Example: come or change direction. The two types of stimulation should sink in and prevent confusing the dog [coming to your side when confused.
Thanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:43 pm

High Brass has the basic idea. I do it a little differently. I never tie the flank rope. I run it from the stake to me, so I can snub it and stop him at any point coming in to me.

The other way is simply to have a helper take the flank rope. He says nothing. Just walks behind you and the dog and when you blow the whistle, he snubs up on the rope. You have the dog on the front, he has the rear. The dog can go nowhere. You can walk him all over the yard of field doing this drill.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:40 am

mikko wrote:Have 16 month old lab. was not going to train to the whistle but change my mind after my first season of hunting roosters. Next year I also want a waterdog so I will need a whistle to do blind retrieves from a distance. So I have started him to sit at the whistle while walking at my side he is very solid at this. However I can not get him to sit away from me. I have tried (he was collar conditioned) e collar but he runs to me then sits quickly. Have tried check cord shortly around a pole to stop him. He did not like this and pretty much shut down with confusion. Please help. Have read dokkens method in his book but don't want to carry platforms to were I train. Mikko has very high energy and drive to retrieve. However seems slow to training (alot of that is due to this is the first dog I did much formal training and am learning along side him)

He is solid on heel, stay, here, kennel, single and double retrieves and was FF
Please help
Mikko,

Like most elements of training, dogs learn and accept new behaviors more easily when the are presented in a logical sequence; one step leading to the next. You've started correctly; at your side, where control is most easily gained. Distance will tend to erode control, so compliance at a distance is more challenging to obtain. That means that gaining this skill should involve increases in distance by degrees.

If you have a training rope about 30 feet in length you're ready to start. But first, will you be using an e-collar in your training? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8ySAOngnM

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

mikko

Post by mikko » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 am

Thank guys

Nice video evan. Will definetly help in the near future. Training last two days has gone much better. Mikko is doing very well on remote sit. Gonna take it slow and get this drilled home before I start casting which I beleive he will do easily since I have been using hand signals all hunting season. Also he has seemed to forgot how to finish his retrieves (no problem with wild birds), over the hunting season so I need to work on that for a bit.