ok.. dumb question but... how do you put a bird to sleep?

jimalbert

ok.. dumb question but... how do you put a bird to sleep?

Post by jimalbert » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 am

I never have actually saw it done but... i would assume that you tuck their head under their wing and just shake it a bit not???
Since i have 12 quail for abby tomorrow i better figure it out quick though. hahahah

Thanks,

Jim

Brittguy

Re: ok.. dumb question but... how do you put a bird to sleep?

Post by Brittguy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:09 am

When I use Quail I do not put the head under their wing. I just hold the body and shake the bird pretty hard for a short while ,then throw the bird into the cover. They will not be asleep and will flush easier.
If you wish to totally put them asleep then like you said. When you lay them down put the side that has the head on the ground.
Same with pigeons except for the motion to dizzy them , I do it in a small circular pattern maybe 15 or 20 times.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 am

It's a learning curve. If you shake them too much they won't flush for you. If you don't shake them enough, they will be gone before you get there. I don't shake. I twist my wrist back and forth.Whatever you do, don't swing them around by their neck, as I've seen some folks do as they will be dead. :roll: Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:31 am

12 quail for tomorrow seems like a lot if it is as early in your dog's training regimine as it sounds. You may want to break it up into at least 2-3 days worth of birds. That many birds could make the dog develop bad habits, get bored, etc. for one day.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

one thing to rember is dont hold the body and shake the head you will kill the bird and have a mess on your hands when you pop a dead bird out of a launcher and the pup trys to get the bird trust me i have done it before
kick'em up knock'em down

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am

Oh yes, we have all have to stories to tell. There was the day that the weight on the pigeon was too light. The pigeon flew off with the piece of house hanging from his leg only to land in a tree on an small island in the pond. As I'm wading out there , the Bird Watchers Society goes by.............. :?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:32 pm

With quail I just roll them back and forth quickly and then chuck them tail first into the tall piece of cover. They don't sleep and are ready to fly off. But they are disorientated and generally dont' fly off.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm

you really dont sleep quail....just dizzy them.

You can hold them so their head is up between you middle two fingers and do a Pete Townsend type windmill....

Or more often I just have a good grip on the bird and do a small wrist motion that spins there head around....when they go limpish
they are dizzy.

For the best flushes hard to beat a launcher for quail.....Phez are really the only birds we actually "sleep"
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm

sjkennels wrote:one thing to rember is dont hold the body and shake the head you will kill the bird and have a mess on your hands when you pop a dead bird out of a launcher and the pup trys to get the bird trust me i have done it before
Im sorry, I usually refrain from asking stupid questions but why would you dizzy a bird and then put it in a launcher?