Force Fetch Psychology

labman21

Force Fetch Psychology

Post by labman21 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:35 pm

I have been ff'ing drake so that he will once again pick up birds. Many of you already know this. He has been doing very well his first 5 days and I am proud of him.

However I am a little confused. By doing this am I training the dog so that he will pick up something even if he really doesn't like to, or am I conditioning him in a way that he is rewarded for retrieving and learns how to remove pressure by retrieving?

Basically, is the dog being trained to do whatever I say whether he likes it or not, or am I making him a bird lover again?

Please give me your thoughts, all will be appreciated.
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Force Fetch Psychology

Post by snips » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:27 am

I think it does if it is done right. I get some dogs to FF that need some desire that their training has taken from them. It can restore it in some dogs. I got a Viz in once that had been trained somewhere else that would not even point, she basically would just stand there on bird scent. After FF she built desire back to the point she started hitting strong points again and LOVED retrieving.
brenda

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:26 am

From what I've watched and read it is both. The biggest thing that you're teaching is handling pressure, and then proper bird handling manners. Each step involves a lot of praise. Initially it is tough on the dog as they learn to handle the pressure that you're giving. At that point you are essentially teaching them to retreive what you want them to retreive how you want them to retreive it. As you progress and the dog adapts to the pressure and really understands what is being asked of him and you continue retreiving practice and lots of praise the dog really begins to enjoy retreiving and doing what is asked of them.

That's just my understanding.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am

Being a 1st time trainer when it comes time for this ,is it wise to use a pro for FF or attempt int yourself?

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 am

labman21 wrote:By doing this am I training the dog so that he will pick up something even if he really doesn't like to, or am I conditioning him in a way that he is rewarded for retrieving and learns how to remove pressure by retrieving?

Basically, is the dog being trained to do whatever I say whether he likes it or not, or am I making him a bird lover again?
In a word, "Yes". All of these things are co-benefits of following and completing a full course of force fetch.

The Myths

More appropriately, there are more misperceptions than myths surrounding the process of force fetching retrievers. I think it starts with the term force. To the novice trainer/dog lover that word summons visions of a dog being thrashed or brutalized in some way or another. There are stories, some true, some contrived, about harsh measures being used to force fetch, like using bottle openers, pliers, etc. Nothing like that will appear as a suggestion in this text because it has nothing to do with how I approach it. Let’s start there and clear the air about that subject.

Ø Force: In retriever training this is a term that describes the use of pressure to achieve a sure and reliable response. Influence that moves something, says the dictionary. The amount of pressure is specified more by the dog than by the trainer. Often very little actual pressure is needed.
Ø Pressure: something that affects thoughts and behavior in a powerful way, usually in the form of several outside influences working together persuasively.

Nowhere in any definition of these terms is abuse or brutality, nor should it be. Like many things, force and pressure are either good or bad depending on how they are applied.

Another misperception is often the assumption that retrievers do all of their retrieving functions by nature, and shouldn’t need to be forced. Frankly, about all that dogs do by nature is to chase after motion, and follow their curiosity about what they smell. We cultivate the rest, both passively and through the use of pressure. Even the most basic puppy-fetch conditioning we all do to get them started is an act we contrive. These dogs retrieve out of self-centered impulses. Bringing birds to us is not a nature-driven act. Thankfully, it can be easily engineered!

Take a well-bred pup and turn him loose in a fenced yard for three years, or so. Leave him strictly to the influences of nature. Then go out one day and see how well he does on the type of retrieving work that would make him useful in game conservation. Compare his work to even an average gun dog with amateur training. How do you think it would come out? No brainer! Whatever natural gifts a dog may have, without some kind of guidance they will tend to be of little value.

It’s not a negative statement that retrievers need training to do the work we need them to do in the field and marsh. That type of work requires a dog to have good natural abilities, but also to be taught how to put those abilities to work because the skills and functions we require are our idea. We invented them. It’s okay. That’s why dogs and trainers are so often referred to as a team. Both contribute to the effort.

The Reality

First of all, force fetch is more than just one thing. It is a definable process with clear goals. But, within the process are several steps or phases. Those steps will be laid out later, but first let’s examine the goals.
1. To establish a standard for acceptable mouth habits.
2. To provide the trainer with a tool to maintain those habits.
3. To provide the trainer with a tool to assure compliance with the command to retrieve.
4. To form the foundation for impetus (momentum).
5. Pressure conditioning.

Mouth habits include such important items as fetching on command, even when your dog may be distracted, or moody, or any number of things that might interfere with compliance. Sure, you may get away for years without having such problems, but being smart and being lucky are not the same thing. Force fetch gives you a tool to handle this when it comes up, plus some insurance that it is less likely to come up due to this training.

Along with compulsion issues we need to mention a proper hold, and delivery on command. If my pheasant is punctured I want it to be from pellets, not teeth. That actually covers some ground in all of the first three categories.

Let’s spend a little time on number four. Lots of people use the terms momentum and style interchangeably. I think it’s important to distinguish between the two because of how they relate to this subject. Force fetch is the foundation of trained momentum, and provides a springboard into subsequent steps of basic development. Style has little to do with this. Here’s why.
Ø Style: A combination of speed, enthusiasm, and just plain hustle that you see in a dog going toward a fall. Style is the product of natural desire and athleticism.
Ø Momentum: In a retriever, the compulsion from the dog’s point of origin; defined in the dictionary as “the force possessed by a body in motion, Measure of movement: a quantity that expresses the motion of a body and its resistance to slowing down. It is equal to the product of the body’s mass and velocity”.

Clearly, this quality is a tremendously valuable asset in the running of blinds and overcoming diversion pressure. It even applies to running long marks, and/or marks through tough cover or terrain. When you need a dog to drive hundreds of yards against the draining influences of terrain, cover, re-entries, and all of the real and perceived factors that are so commonly momentum-robbing, having a dog with a reservoir of momentum is immensely valuable. Force fetch is where that reservoir is established, and can be built upon.

From the foundation of a forced fetch most modern methods progress through stages that continue to build on this principle. Stick fetch, Collar Condition to fetch, Walking fetch, Force to pile, and Water force are all extensions of the work we do in ear pinch or toe hitch, which are popular means to get it all going. When a dog has finished such a course the result is an animal far more driven, with much more resolve to overcome obstacles and distance and distractions.

Lest we forget ~

I am not suggesting that we harm or abuse dogs in any of this force work I’ve spoken of. The late Jim Kappes said, “A properly forced dog shouldn’t look forced”. I completely agree. Momentum and style are distinct terms, each with their own meanings, as pertains to retrievers. I firmly believe that both are traits that should co-exist in a well-trained retriever.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum