Training Collar- A bit pricy

labman21

Training Collar- A bit pricy

Post by labman21 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:42 pm

I've really wanted to get a training collar but they're just so expensive. I am a teenager in search of a job right now, I have had my eye on a simple sport dog model for $160. The man at our "Sportsman's Warehouse" now "Wholesale Sport's" advised me that is the best one you'll get under $200.

Any models that aren't too pricy but do a good job?
Any jobs available in Helena, Mt :D ?
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Collar- A bit pricy

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:36 pm

They arent cheap, maybe if you search awhile you can find a used one.

Or try Collar clinic online. They have some TriTronics models under 200 that are much better than the sport dog....Look at the reconditioned trainers

Whatever ya do don't buy an innotek
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 pm

I was in your shoes not that long ago, needed a collar but was broke. I bought an inexpensive sportdog sporthunter 1200SD, nothing fancy but it did the trick. I will sell this to you for $80 shipped to helena, mt.

Used
3/4 mile range
Expandable to 2 dogs
Waterproof

doubt you will find a 3/4 mile range for cheaper. this collar should do until you trade up for a TT. let me know if you are interested.

-Nate

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 pm

natetnc wrote:I was in your shoes not that long ago, needed a collar but was broke. I bought an inexpensive sportdog sporthunter 1200SD, nothing fancy but it did the trick. I will sell this to you for $80 shipped to helena, mt.

Used
3/4 mile range
Expandable to 2 dogs
Waterproof

doubt you will find a 3/4 mile range for cheaper. this collar should do until you trade up for a TT. let me know if you are interested.

-Nate
Thats a good deal...good for you on helping a kid out.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Don't waste your money on cheap collars save up a little more and get a real collar EDIT TO ADD This post was done before nates post..I am in a bad signal area and it hung up on me

I see all to many people try and go with those house pet collars only to have the dogs figure out how to out range the collars

My Fav collar is the Tri Tronics they have done me the best over the years I had one collar out last a DT a dogtra and two sportdog collars add it up The tri tronics though a little more in initial cost was cheaper in the long run.

you can also look at collar clinic
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:44 pm

http://www.collarclinic.com/Merchant2/m ... ctt/RecF70

this is a decent deal which when you are ready you can trade up to tri tronics www.tritronics.com you can see their trade up offers there

some times they do trade ins of other collar companies but not all the time they will always do trade ups with tri tronics collars or for a nominal fee they will internally update older collars
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 pm

What type of dog do you need it for? By your handle I assume you have a Lab which leads me to believe you may not need anything more than 1/2 mile range.

With that being said, I think Tri-tronics makes a new basic yard trainer than could serve you well and would be brand spanking new for under $200.

But if it were me...the deal offered to you is one of "welcome to the sport" and would also serve you well as would the reconditioned Sport 70 via Collar Clinic.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 am

The thing I've seen with the lesser priced collars is they are inconsistent. They might just have a few levels of stim and their #1 is way high compared to a more fine tuned collar with a wider range of stimulation. If you can get your hands on a collar before you buy it and test the levels on yourself you are better off. Then you know what you are getting.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Check ebay I just picked up a new Sportdog 1850 for just over $200. It took awhile to fnd on for that price though.