The ff transition

labman21

The ff transition

Post by labman21 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Drake is now holding birds in his mouth. When i give him the fetch command he gladly takes the bird. He will hold it for as long as I tell him to and won't release until the drop command is given. If I give him the bird with the fetch command and have him stay and hold it, then call him he will do that no problem.

The only thing is, he doesn't seem to make the connection as far as a 10ft retrieve goes.
He does the same old thing. He runs up to it and mouthes it but won't grab it and pick it up.
Will this come with time or is there some underlying problem?

The other thing is. In a field situation when is the fetch command given?

He just seems like he has no clue what he is doing. He is definitely trying to grab onto it but won't. Please tell me if I am impatient or what's going on.

Thanks, Ryan
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

EvanG

Re: The ff transition

Post by EvanG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Ryan,

How, specifically, did you get to this point?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Sounds like you need to get him picking up off the table. Then transition to shorter retrieves. Don't rush it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:24 pm

It sounds like you have been doing a good job so far, but I believe you are getting impatient. You will have some set backs. You need to go slow and let it take however long it takes. It could take a couple of months or more, especially for somebody who is attempting it for the first time. It takes alot of persistence and patience.

I have only done it one time, so I will let others advise you on the particular problem you are having now. I will say this though, you should never allow a refusal. When you give the command, he must pick it up every time. You have to do whatever it takes to force him to pick it up. Maybe keeping your hand on it at first or picking it up just enough for him to grab it and using the ear pinch to enforce it if needed.

Just keep at it and don't give up. It will pay off. Good luck.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 am

You may be taking too big of a step for him. Does he pick up from the floor/table? How about taking a step and then picking up? Two steps, five steps? If he won't do 10 feet, take a step back to what he will do and then take a smaller step forward. Reinforce what he knows and then progress.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Donnie is right. If you have the dog on the table/bench and have him picking up off of there then you can transition to the ground.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine