Distracted by anothers whistle

mrrosey

Distracted by anothers whistle

Post by mrrosey » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 am

My ESS works great when I'm the only one using a whistle, even if there are other hunters with me. When my partner takes out his dog and begins to use his whistle my dog gets clingly and will not hunt. I don't think it is the other dog . I think my dog is confused. How do I get her to ignore the other whistle and keep hunting only to my commands?

natetnc

Re: Distracted by anothers whistle

Post by natetnc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 am

mine have a problem with this, don't know if it will go away with age or not since these are my first dogs. i can't punish them because they have only done what i have asked. my best advice is to hunt them alone or find a hunting partner who doesn't hack at their dog.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 am

this is why i don't use whistles. I am lucky enough to be able to whistle loudly with my mouth so it's a unique sound. Plus, a whistle in the mouth of a handler...whos dog obviously doesn't know what the whistling means...or doesnt care...makes me want to choke someone :evil:

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:07 pm

In time he will learn to distinguish your signals and it will not be as much of a problem.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:11 pm

+ 1 Britt guy, age and experience is the only thing that will cure this. Some dogs never get over it.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:30 pm

This was one of the funniest moments at a public walk in hunting area. I was just getting prepped and a fleet of vehicles pulled in from the local Springer club. There were about 20 guys and a dozen dogs. I think the club had a special purchase on whistles because everyone of them had the same whistle. They also all used the same whistle commands. They left the parking lot and it sounded like a very poor rendition of a whistle marching band. The more confused the dogs were the more the whistles blew. I think that eventually they all got spread around enough and everyone got their own dogs somewhere out in front of them, but it was good for a laugh.

You will need to desensitize your dog to your buddies whistle and transition your dog to some form of visual or auditory command that is easily distinguishable as different than your buddies whistle.

I no longer use whistle commands for anything other than a "look at me" and a "get on out there" because there are times I use my dogs with other people and their dogs.

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Early on, when shopping for a collar, a guy at Tritronics advised me to use the beeper on the collar for a command. He said many use it for "Whoa" but his recommendation was to use it to recall, as in "Here". The thing that made the most sense to me was "the sound will be the same to the dog, no matter how far away (within range) she is".

That was my plan. I worked with my pup and it came out better than expected. I thought a couple of beeps should tell her to come back to me. As it has worked out, she turns on a beep, starts back but continues to hunt unless I continue to beep. She will come all the way back if I keep beeping.

This has worked to stop her from chasing other game and/or flushed birds. It also has worked to keep her from jumping on people, going out of the room we are visiting, etc.

That company rep warned me, however, against becoming dependant on an electronic device as he said "All of them can fail, even ours. We have a great warranty but that doesn't do much when you are in the field and can't call your dog back". He recommended also using a whistle for recall and/or to provide the ability for the dog to hear and locate me when my voice might not carry far enough.

I use three quick blasts on the whistle to recall her. I have hunted her with other dogs whose owners used a whistle. She was not affected by their whistle but their dog seemed to be affected if I used mine. Overall, I've been very happy with this method.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

I do use a whistle...infrequently. Mostly I use my voice. It carries pretty well.

I use a whistle that is slightly less common and whose sound is a tad different. I also use only it for about two things...to send the dog out and to call it in and both those whisltles are again a little different. I definitely use the send out whistle the most.

In a reasonably short time, my dogs learn to differentiate my whistle from others and are "encouraged" to ignore the other whistles, along with the shouting, screaming, singing and whupping and whooooing and other assorted antics, grunts, groans, slapping of leather and such of the handler I am braced with.

Desensitizing your dog may take a while, but it is worth the effort, because you will have a dog that is attentive to you while ignoring others in the field. That can be a very good thing.

RayG

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 am

Have your partner lighten up on the whistle long enough so you know which problem you're dealing with.

I taught my ESS whistle commands first then used the same commands with the collar tone. I rarely have to whistle now. He just hears it as a warning to avoid a nick and so he can find me as we hunt heavy cover. It's also quieter this way as we really have to stalk the birds. I've even taped his name tags so they don't jingle.

good luck-

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:07 am

I like using a whistle and have always used one. I use one long for a recall and two short to change directions. that is the only time I use it. I am quiet the rest of the time. The dogs seem know my whistle from others, because they ignore the others when I am hunting in a public area. It is just so much easier and less stress for me than using voice commands. Normally, the only voice command I use in the field is the hunt dead command. It has just never been a problem for me or others that I hunt with.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 am

As a few others said, your dog will likely get used to the other hunter's whistle and ignore it. Another thing to consider: How close is your buddy to you when he's blowing his whistle? It might be less distracting and confusing to your dog if you have your buddy hunt, say, 50 yards to your right or left until your dog gets accustomed to his whistle. That way the dog will have an easier time distinguishing your whistle from your buddy's. Later you can move in and hunt a little closer together.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:22 am

slistoe wrote:This was one of the funniest moments at a public walk in hunting area. I was just getting prepped and a fleet of vehicles pulled in from the local Springer club. There were about 20 guys and a dozen dogs. I think the club had a special purchase on whistles because everyone of them had the same whistle. They also all used the same whistle commands. They left the parking lot and it sounded like a very poor rendition of a whistle marching band. The more confused the dogs were the more the whistles blew. I think that eventually they all got spread around enough and everyone got their own dogs somewhere out in front of them, but it was good for a laugh.

You will need to desensitize your dog to your buddies whistle and transition your dog to some form of visual or auditory command that is easily distinguishable as different than your buddies whistle.

I no longer use whistle commands for anything other than a "look at me" and a "get on out there" because there are times I use my dogs with other people and their dogs.
Variation: a gal braced with me at a hunt test started yelling at me because my dog kept following her dog ... until I told her we used the same whitle commands.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

redandwhite

Post by redandwhite » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm

everyone has a different whistle signature which in time the dog learns to tell the difference even if the same type whistle and same commands are used.

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Just hunted my pup with a guy who kept blowing his whistle. HE got to where he was ignoring the whistle and only listened to vocal commands. It got to annoying, but the dog adjusted. Maybe a different tone would help your dog distinguish yours and the others around you.
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk