Finding Birds For Training

Lexus423

Finding Birds For Training

Post by Lexus423 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a 4 month old German Shorthaired Pointer named Jacoby. I wanted to get him started with live birds (quail). Does anyone know the best place to get adult birds either by pick up or mail delivery? I live in Long Island,New York. Thanks for your help.

fishvik

Re: Finding Birds For Training

Post by fishvik » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 am

Lex, I grew up just across the LI Sound and my advice is start with pigeons. They are cheap and should be readily available, If you look at some of the old posts on this website there is alot of info and catching, housing and caring for them too. You might even check and see if anyone is removing them commercial from buildings in your area and they might make you a great deal.

mm

Post by mm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 am

Lex
I live on LI also you can get bobwhite quail at the poultry market on urban ave in westbury call them first . I cant find the number but if you search live poultry markets in nassau it will come up. They were 5 for $15 I got them last year several times and they flew pretty good. I also get them mail order from B&D game farm in Oklahoma. They have good prices and with shipping comes out to about $4 or so each. In the spring I breed them and I get way more than I can keep so if you still need them then you can have some of mine.
MM

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the offer. Where are you located? I called Westbury but they dont have bobwhites anymore. I am going to try to find some places in Queens or upstate.

mm

Post by mm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 pm

I am in copiague. There is a guy in Astoria a live poultry and he had some quail but they were not bobwhite some other kind and they did not fly to good. I bought about 30 last year or so ago and I had to flight condition them. There is a guy in NJ I found him from a post on this site someplace he has nice flight condition bobwhites they were $4 eack. I used many birds from him and even bred some of his birds. It is down by great adventure he is a game farm and a shooting preserve. I think his name was Scott. Its tough to get birds on Long Island and hard to find good training spots also. I hope this helps.
MM