Bonding a pup around an older dog

LokiandGunnar

Bonding a pup around an older dog

Post by LokiandGunnar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I am getting a lab pup in a couple months. I trained my first dog, Loki, who is now 11 years. I read Richard Wolters books back then so I know about the 7-12 week timeframe and bonding during that time. How do I make sure that the pup will bond only to me (an somewhat to the wife) and not the older dog?

Thanks for any help.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Bonding a pup around an older dog

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Rotating crate time is what I did when I brought this summer's pup home. I didn't do it from the get go, but it was evident after a couple weeks, that we had issues of our pup bonding to the other dogs. So after some thought, we realized the error of our ways. Pups sleep a lot when they're little, so whenever pup was asleep, the older dog was let out. And when pup was awake, the older dog was crated, and everything revolved around the pup. It didn't take long to turn things around and we just eventually lessened the crate time and allowed them more supervised together time. It wasn't easy putting my sad eyed 2 yr old GSP in the crate so often (even though she's crate trained), but it was necessary to organize our pack. :wink:

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 pm

What have you done for me lately?

We brought a pup home last March to a house with a 12yo springer who recently lost her sister. We wanted a bonding between them and I wanted a hunter. While I was busy fencing 2 acres during the pups 'formidable' months it seemed as tho the pup, Trap, was bonding to everyone but me. I just wasn't spending the time. Now we spend time every morning and it's not an issue at all. Trap has a different relationship with everyone. But its not a bank account that can be ignored until you feel like making a withdrawal. You receive dividends in direct relationship to the nurturing invested.

I will say that the time that can't be ignored is when your pup is between 6 and 12 months. If you want to make an impression that time is imperative.

LokiandGunnar

Post by LokiandGunnar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I will make sure I spend enough time with the pup and use the crate to my advantage.