New Pup Sunday.

BigBoyTank

New Pup Sunday.

Post by BigBoyTank » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 am

I pick up my new Brit Sunday and while I understand the ins and outs of training this will be my first time with 2 dogs at once in the same house. My questions are;

1 what is the best way to introduce the dogs.

2 I have a kennel room in my house where my 4 yo male brittany sleeps kenneled. Is it ok for the puppy to stay in the same room (obviously they will not be in the same keenel)

Thanks in advance.

Ditch__Parrot

Re: New Pup Sunday.

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:45 am

I introduced my two at a neutral location. Letting them check each other out and play for awhile before taking them both home. Since then there kennels have been right beside each other since the first day.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 am

agree with Ditch- first time together let them get used to each other- nothing wrong with each having a treat where they can see and not feel intimadated-
you might find that the your older Britt enjoys being arround the pup- mine have taken to the oldsters- just be aware of the first encounter together and read their response- these have gotten along since day one

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

When I first bring a new one home I let the other dogs sniff him in the yard and then just bring them all in when they get over the excitement. I watch them real close to make sure they get along and feed separately till you get to know how they get along. I don't make big deal out of it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:34 pm

I agree with first intro in a neutral place maybe even with the pup in it's crate. Next I think I would hold the new pup up in your arms to let the older dog sniff it. Keep the older dog on a leash at first.
Absolutely do not let the pup near the olders dog food at feeding time. Physical seperation can save a serious disaster from occuring. Feed in different rooms or in the pups crate for a while.
Food and toys can cause dog fights until both are safe together.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Excellent advice in these posts. I have 3 sleeping in the same room , 2 in crates. No problems. Still I don't leave them loose in the room unsupervised if i go out.

I introduce them through a baby gate separating two rooms. Enjoy your pup.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett