2 year old GSP barks when running in woods

smiley1954

2 year old GSP barks when running in woods

Post by smiley1954 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 am

Newbie gun dog owner with 2 year old GSP that loves to run and bark in the woods has a question please....what is with the barking?
She has made some excellent points at grouse (I haven't shot one over her yet) but appears to like to bark at birds when they flush and at squirrels and not even sure what else.
I would like to make her a grouse dog and we spend a lot of time in the woods...she lost her first year to a hunting accident (impaled on tree branch on ground). Comes from good stock and not exactly fearless when someone shoots other than hunting i.e. muzzleloaders in the back yard, firecrackers, stuff like that).
How does one break barking, chasing habit?
Thanks much,
Smiley

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: 2 year old GSP barks when running in woods

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 am

Welcome aboard the board.
A few guestions to better understand. I may not have a proper answer but someone will.
I suspect once you get some birds shot for her it will stop at least until she chases deer, rabbits etc.

Have you seen her barking or just hearing it?
What do you think she is barking at?
Is she barking while on point or after a shot and on the chase?
Have you had opportunity to shoot training birds for her?

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

smiley1954

Post by smiley1954 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 am

I have seen her barking...sometimes just running thru the woods and I have seen her barking at least one time chasing a flushed bird.
I have her the term "giving tounge"...not quite sure if that is what is happening. She does not chase deer...took care of that early on with an e coller. She comes back and checks with me. My old time grouse hunting bud likes dogs in real close...she does tend to be out but within bell sound reach. She may be just pumped up. not sure

gravedigger

Post by gravedigger » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:23 am

It's been my experience that once they start barking while running it's pretty hard to break.Had a GSP that would give tongue when chasing fur.Couldn't fault the dog as some where back there that was a desired trait when tested and hunted.You might try a bark collar as that way when your not right there they will get a correctiion while barking.if the dog is just barking to bark not good.Good luck-Shawn

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm

I have owned dogs that would bark as they chase birds as puppies but out grew it.In fact my Avatar dog Star was one of them.

The first GSP I ever owned would give chase to rabbits & bark aslong as she was running them but stop once she lost sight of them.She would also point them but not with the same intensity as birds,I did shoot rabbits over her & she retrieved them,shot a few squirrels she also retrieved.That was 36 yrs ago & she was one tough little dog.She was the only one I ever killed anything other then birds over all BIRD DOGS since. :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 pm

I also think the dog will grow out of it as she ages.

Of course, it she DIDN'T chase birds, she wouldn't bark.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

animalpack@live.com

Post by animalpack@live.com » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I have a 10mnth old gsp female..she does the same exact thing while running through woods.. screams like she is getting hurt, but she just chashing either squrrils or chipmonks..she is bird trainned and does not yelp while in the field..only through woods

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:43 pm

maybe she has some beagle in her and shes tailing a rabbit :D

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

My GSP did this the first time he smelled a bear.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Some dogs just bark when excited around game. Thankfully mine don't , but I had a GSP once who had a thing about geese. If there was a goose in the pond he was gone, yipping the whole time. I don't have him anymore. :) Be careful if using an anti bark collar or training collar. The dog could easily think the correction is coming from the bird as you are not there in the picture.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm

I bet it's just excitement barking. Pretty hard to stop that. I agree once she get a bird in her mouth she won't bark.
In the 90's I had an Australian Shepherd that was a fantastic Frisbee dog. She would bark from extreme excitement when chasing the flying frisbee. Once she caught it no more barking. As she matured she barked must less.

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am

My first setter would always bark when a grouse flushed wild. There were many occasions when her barking alerted me to flying birds, and sometimes they presented nice shooting opportunities! I always liked the fact that she barked while chasing after a wild-flushed bird, and I never viewed it as a problem. She did it until she died at age 13, so never really grew out of it, as some suggested might happen. For whatever reason, she would never bark while chasing after a bird that she had first pointed (she was not steady to wing).