Water Training- How Cold is too cold?

Lexus423

Water Training- How Cold is too cold?

Post by Lexus423 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:09 am

Hey everyone,

I have a 41/2 month old GSP puppy. I was wondering how cold is too cold for him to start learning how to swim. I have a couple of ponds in my area that he could use but i dont want to scare him away or hurt him in any way by exposing him to such cold water. The reason I ask is because I saw a bunch of labs retriving ducks in the waters near my house. Thanks for your help.

surferdave

Re: Water Training- How Cold is too cold?

Post by surferdave » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

My lab is 5 months old, and I think as pups they are definitely more hesitant towards swimming in cold water. I got him in the water 2 months ago when he was 3 months but even then, the water was still cold. Personally I think I'm gonna hold off till spring when the water warms before really getting him into swimming. I think forcing them in cold water is a sure way to turn them off to it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 am

The question isn't really the concern.

My setter is swimming around now in ON, in open water surrounded by ice. She loves swimming.

You don't want to do ANYTHING that might turn that pup off of water. I'd wait until the spring.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't see any reason you couldn't start to get the pup comfortable with water though. Maybe not full fledged swimming until it warms up, but walking over and through creeks, puddles, etc. Walking into the shallow end of a lake would work as well.

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 am

I was just starting to think about this water introduction stuff for my GSP puppy, who is right about 12 weeks now, problem is I live in MN so no open water right now. Is it ok to wait all the way until the water is opened up and warmed up a little to intro him to water, or is there a good way to do it inside on a small scale to get him comfortable early on? Tub? Mini pool? Thanks for any pointers.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:45 am

Where in the country are you. How cold is it. It seems that you are not in freezing temps.

Florida have at it, Maine not so good.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am

Yea i am in Long Island, New York. Temps are in the 40's now, and the water isnt frozen, but im sure its cold as heck. The bay still has some ice floating in it.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 am

I would wait. June would be good maybe May. Come north to NAVHDA in Maine Sebasticook Chapter.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 am

It's too cold, without any doubt. When the retriever pros come back north in the spring, they usually wait until the water is at least 50* before putting adult dogs in it. Even then, they wait until it's warmer before putting pups in.

As a matter of perspective, my GSP pro who is in TX right now won't intentionally introduce pups to swimming until as late in Feb as he can wait, after a streak of warm days and nights with no rain. There on the ranch we use some stock tanks that pretty shallow; but we wait until the temp is as warm as possible.

GSP pups are even more susceptible to "cold water shock", with thinner coats and less body mass.

In NY State, I'd plan on waiting until April or May before intentionally getting the pup to swim. If it happens before that, so be it.

JMO,
Dave

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 am

This is only one reason why it is preferably to buy an 8 weeks old in the Spring, pup.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 am

Keep in mind that if you make the puppy afraid of the water because it is too cold, you may never get him over it. Be patient and wait until the water is warm. What is the hurry? It won't speed up training by forcing him in the water before he is ready, but you could set back the training schedule by rushing into it.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Sharon wrote:This is only one reason why it is preferably to buy an 8 weeks old in the Spring, pup.
Sharon, we're going to make a retrieverite (retrieverette?) out of you yet. :wink:
When the retriever pros come back north in the spring, they usually wait until the water is at least 50* before putting adult dogs in it. Even then, they wait until it's warmer before putting pups in.
Putting what Dave noted into more perspective, there's a big difference between training in water and hunting a dog in it. The accepted temp for training is 55 degrees and above. Train even a field champion Lab or Chessie in colder water and you risk souring the dog on water for training. Duck hunting, doesn't matter--at least not with retrievers anyhow. Then they're at work and enjoying their work even if they come out ice-encrusted.

So recognize the difference between training and a dog getting to do what it's bred for. As Dave left it, if the dog goes into the water of its own volition, be mighty happy about it. Just don't push it to do any more, and that includes retrieving in winter water.

MG

labman21

Post by labman21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm

If stagnant water isn't frozen you should be okay. Now but if it's a cold day out there you don't want to keep him wet in the cold for too long.

Let your dog get the idea and don't over do it. That's all I've got.
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

anb

Post by anb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 am

my girl (GSP) is 7 months right now and jumps into the ocean any chance she gets. I won't let her go in for more than a few retrieves at a time, because it is so cold in the winter (Maine). I would say if your dog goes in willingly, let it, but definetly do not force it!!! Water can be very scary and traumatic to a little dog! Better to hold off than ruin the dog on water. I do speak from experience on this one.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

My springer was nuts about water from day one. Except for when it got really cold I pretty much had to drag her out. It often was a problem with her when hunting waterfowl because she would get wet way before she needed to make her first retrieve.

I would hang around water but if it is still cold let the pup make the choice to go in. You could splash around yourself and if it follows fine, if not thats fine too.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 am

Our water still hard so i feel it's a bit too cold- for ploar Plunge last Sat they dug out ice- water was 31 above- still too cold.