Chasing deer

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Chasing deer

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I had my dogs out doday for their daily fun and exercise. The area is a local park with a lake and surrounded with woods. About 5 minutes into the run, I saw them go on a half azz point, in the open and well away from any cover. As I approached, two deer took off running toward the woods. My older dog, Lucky, stood and watched them, but my young dog, Zeke, gave chase, just as hard and fast as he could go. I was fortunate to be in a position to see the whole thing. I quickly set my transmitter on high and held the button down for the entire 8 seconds.

When he finally stopped yelping, he came running back to me just as fast as he had chased the deer. I just ignored him and kept walking, as if nothing had happened. He also continued running and playing, as if nothing had happened. I think he has chased before, but I never caught him in the act. This is just one reason I have an e-collar on my dogs every time I have them out. I was able to give an immediate correction, which is the only type of correction that means anything to the dog, and I will bet I never have to do it again. :D Ofcourse, this is the only type of behavior I would use that extreme of a correction.

I know there are some on here who do not believe in using an e-collar, but it can not only stop unwanted behavior, it could save their life.

Charlie
Last edited by birddogger on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

vzkennels

Re: Chasing deer

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Exactly Charlie :!:

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 pm

You have probably saved yourself a lot of future headaches, also dogs can get themselves in some bad trouble chasing deer.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Ditto!

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for posting! Could not agree with you more!

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 pm

:idea: Amazing how well that works. My oldest needed a tune-up on it after 4 years. (deer in the yard, doubt she would have chased it in a field while hunting) Trick is keeping your mouth shut. Just a reminder to anyone who might read this and use it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:02 am

Ditch__Parrot wrote::idea: Amazing how well that works. My oldest needed a tune-up on it after 4 years. (deer in the yard, doubt she would have chased it in a field while hunting) Trick is keeping your mouth shut. Just a reminder to anyone who might read this and use it.
Exactly right. I didn't say a word and went on as if nothing happened.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 am

Perfect response to me--I use collar on young dogs every walk until I know they are deer proof- we live on a small farm with deer everywhere-- i do not want them chasing them EVER- hence I use a method similar to yuors- used same with variation for snake avoidance training also.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 pm

Works like a charm!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm

birddogger wrote:
Ditch__Parrot wrote::idea: Amazing how well that works. My oldest needed a tune-up on it after 4 years. (deer in the yard, doubt she would have chased it in a field while hunting) Trick is keeping your mouth shut. Just a reminder to anyone who might read this and use it.
Exactly right. I didn't say a word and went on as if nothing happened.

Charlie
I personally would have waited until he came back and in a Very Stern Voice told him NO. Thats what works for me and besides are'nt GSP's ver-sit-tile anyway. Maybe the deer was bleeding and your dog was tracking a blood trail. Did you even go look? :evil:

BTW, I'm just funnin. I would have/have done the same thing. Twice this season, once with a deer and once with a fox or coyote (two different dogs though). :mrgreen:

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.