Whoa post

wine9555

Whoa post

Post by wine9555 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

I am going to start my 8 mos old GSP whoa using the whoa post method described in this forum and in books I have read. Each dog is different but I was wondering if I should do the drill every day and for what duration.
In general how long does it take for the dog to be whoa broke.

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Whoa post

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Something that helped me a lot. The answers to your questions are in there. Best training advice on whoa that i've seen. IMO

http://www.huntsmith.com/articles/the-w ... redux.html

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:31 pm

It takes what it takes

Never put a time line on a dogs training that is the first step to failure :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:07 am

If done correctly, the whoa post process will reveal itself. What I mean by that is at each step in the process the dog will clearly show you when it is ready to move on to the next level. The biggest issue I've seen, with any training program for that matter, is that folks want to push the process to meet an unattainable timeline. What happens is steps are rushed through and not completely processed by the dog and handler. My feeling is by taking the time to understand the process, really seeing when the dog is ready to move on is the key to thoughtful training.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 am

+1 For Knine....
KN

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Keny Glasscock wrote:If done correctly, the whoa post process will reveal itself. What I mean by that is at each step in the process the dog will clearly show you when it is ready to move on to the next level. The biggest issue I've seen, with any training program for that matter, is that folks want to push the process to meet an unattainable timeline. What happens is steps are rushed through and not completely processed by the dog and handler. My feeling is by taking the time to understand the process, really seeing when the dog is ready to move on is the key to thoughtful training.

I think that pushing the dog in a training process is everyone has done, and sometimes you really have to stop yourself. I am guilty of it, and I am not sure if I would believe anyone who told me they were not!! :twisted:

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

There's currently a thread that discusses how the more successful trialers don't push the dog as much as most hunters. The difference is the result of a "ok"/"meat" dog and a "Champion caliber." Not saying I've never pushed a dog, but like a great teacher, sometimes a dog needs a push to make it to that next level. There's a difference between an educated and productive push, and a frustrated "push." Let the dog tell you what it needs...
KN

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Maybe I am just lazy, but the whoa post method is not for me. It just looks to me like it is a little complicated and alot of work. Don't get me wrong, I put in alot of time, training my dogs, but I don't want to make it more complicated than it is. I have always done just fine with just heel and whoa with nothing but a lead and finishing it with an e-collar around the waste. In fact my last dog is the only one that I even used the e-collar on. My dogs will stop on a dime when I give the command.

I am not saying that other methods are wrong, it's just that I like to keep it as simple as possible, while getting the same results.

Oh, I forgot to add that my dogs have already learned the concept of whoa, because they have been taught to whoa at the food bowl, before coming out of the kennel, etc., since they wer very young puppies. IMO, they have a head start when the formal training begins.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way