Bark Control Collar

jakethebirddog

Bark Control Collar

Post by jakethebirddog » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 pm

I am having trouble with my 11 month old vizsla. I know they are needy dogs and need a lot of attention, but this dog thinks he needs attention 24/7 and I just dont have time for that.

He barks and whines anytime he sees someone that isn't letting him out to play or train. And if I had to work all day after school and couldn't spend more than 15 min with him, he barks through the night.

He is an excellent dog otherwise but I just can't stand being kept awake all night anymore. I was thinking of a bark control collar. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent one for a price around $50? I was looking at sportdog but only the high end version corrects for vibration and sound.

I want one that will not let him get away with whining either. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,
Tony

daniel77

Re: Bark Control Collar

Post by daniel77 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:06 pm

I have an older (10 yrs ish) tri tronics no bark collar, box and all. It has no sensitivity adjustment and fairly well trained one of my past dogs to yelp and whine not quite loud enough to get zapped. I tried it on myself, and I had to yell as loud as I possibly could to trigger it, but man when it did. yowza. Maybe the tech is better now, but that collar was fairly useless as far as I can tell. I'd take $50 for it though. :mrgreen:

There may well be better answers to your problem than electricity. A spray bottle of water when he whines possibly. The attention he gets isn't the type he wants....
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

Get the tritronics for about $100.00. It will be money well spent as far as your peace of mind.
Two Faced Jake

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 pm

I agree with eastwash. But on another note...How much excercise is he getting each day ? Could that be part of the problem.?

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, I know for sure that vizslas are high strung dogs and need plenty of excercise. I strive for at least 30 min/day if not 1 hour/day. But on the days where I have school and work and dont get home till 9, I can't give him that much attention.

Also, now that his companion had puppies and is inside with them all the time, he gets lonely and has been barking himself hoarse lately. I just worry about the neighboors getting irritated and filing a noise complaint. That, and sleep is nice too without being woken up by barking every hour.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:00 pm

That may be the issue.."he get's lonely". If you usually have two dogs in the kennel and now he's by himself..I think he misses his kennel mate. Any chance that at night you could put hime in a crate in the house, garage, etc. and then put him back out in the morning. Then I would consider the bark collar. I'd still go with the TT. My second choice would be a Dogtra..Just my opinion. It would be interesting to see if he stops barking as much once that mama dog is back outside.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 am

Consider the advice already given. But if you want a bark collar the best is the Dogtra YS300 series. Much more user friendly than the TT, and cheaper. I own both and sell both.