GSP and rabbit hunting

anb

GSP and rabbit hunting

Post by anb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Just looking for some tips on getting my pup started on rabbits. Do you train them to hold point like on birds or run them like beagles do? Most places we hunt are in heavy cover; there are trails through the snow, but we have had quite the time finding any this winter, I think the eagles may have gotten a lot last summer. We have been doing some tracking and retrieve with dummies and rabbit scent. The one time we did see a rabbit, we were driving down a logging road. I took the pup in with me where we last saw the rabbit enter the woods and my partner waited on the road to see if the rabbit would cross. Pup trailed the rabbit perfectly back to the road, (I was trailing her, making sure I saw rabbit tracks and puppy tracks), so I guess she does well on a hot trail. I guess most people mainly hunt their GSPs on birds, but where we live there are only mallards and sea ducks - not quite as tasty as a partridge! - but slow-cooked rabbit is hard to beat, plus you get the pelt. I say, if the dog can hunt it and I can shoot it, why not!

Hattrick

Re: GSP and rabbit hunting

Post by Hattrick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:12 pm

They make great waterfowl dogs too:)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Certainly nothing wrong with rabbit hunting, I love it, even though I haven't done it in a number of years. Quite tasty too, I like mine fried. :D :D Sorry, I can't give any advise on using the GSP, since I have no experience in hunting rabbits with them. I always used beagles.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I have no experience teaching a GSP to hunt rabbits but we used to raise beagles and we started them similar to what you have done. We then would run them with an experience beagle as they progressed and they would start barking on track. I have a male GSP that will point a rabbit if given the chance and will give a short chase with a couple of yelps when the rabbit flushes, but doesn't run the rabbit like a beagle does. Of course I don't really encourage this so with a little encouragement it might work.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

The chance of a gsp running a rabbit like a beagle are slim to none. What I do with my DD's is teach them to hold them like birds. I walk up, flush and shoot then release to retrieve. For us steady on fur is harder than steady to wing.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

rommel

Post by rommel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

If you have ever ran beagles on rabbit you will never be satisfied with a GSP's job. If you were after hare (bigger more scent easier tracking) your chances would be better but under MY conditions (ohio) a verstile hunting dog wouls come up short. I have a drahthaar who recieved a "10" (pretty good scor)on tracking in his VJP who would not come close to the job of beagle. For one their size is to big to dig threw the cover that cottontails love in the midwest.
Shooting them over a point is a diffrent manner and I wish you the best....

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 am

Saturday, I will be trying this with one of my french britts, not quite sure what the seqence will be but we will see.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Pointing dogs can be taught to hold rabbits like they do birds.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm

My Brits have always pointed them just like a bird though possibly a little less intense. Never did any training but just let them do it naturally. I never shot rabbits over them till they had birds shot as I didn't want them hunting rabbits. But I sure enjoyed the fact that they at least let me know they were there.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm

I use my lab on rabbits all the time here in the UK, i find them the easiest to start a young pup on, find and flush, then stop her on the whistle and shoot the rabbit, then send her for the retrieve, very fast, very exciting.
My gundog before her was a GWP, he would point sitters but some rabbits can bolt very easily if the cover isnt thick so again i would stop him on the whistle then shoot and send him for the retrieve, he did like to run in alot so basic whistle training was needed alot.
If you put the time in with the whistle training, rabbit hunting is an excellent sport for gundogs, terriers and beagles are hardly ever used here as a well trained gundog is far better.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Dave.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:38 pm

rommel wrote:If you have ever ran beagles on rabbit you will never be satisfied with a GSP's job. If you were after hare (bigger more scent easier tracking) your chances would be better but under MY conditions (ohio) a verstile hunting dog wouls come up short. I have a drahthaar who recieved a "10" (pretty good scor)on tracking in his VJP who would not come close to the job of beagle. For one their size is to big to dig threw the cover that cottontails love in the midwest.
Shooting them over a point is a diffrent manner and I wish you the best....

Absolutely right!
Most dogs with any prey drive will put up a rabbit. The problem is you need to jump shoot , which is dangerous for your dog.
A beagle will track the rabbit as far as necessary to bring it around to you. You find a hill , finish your coffee and wait for the rabbit to be brought along for a safe shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fC5lZJUys
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

anb

Post by anb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just thought I would let y'all know that we finally jumped one today, had a perfect shot . . . and the bullet was a dud! GD Wal-Mart ammo! Annabelle did a great job though, which is what really counts!