Tracker or garmin

Birddog3412

Tracker or garmin

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Looking at buying either a Garmin DC30 or tracker system. What are the good and bad of each. Also what tracker unit do you recomend? Im looking at the tracker classic system with strike collar.

What is the difference int the tracker 216 MHz and 217 MHz?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Tracker or garmin

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 am

I have both. I have a Tracker Maxima(older model) with 2 frequencies and an Astro
DC30.

The tracker had more range and when you turn it on, one slow revolution at moderate gain will give you a line or at the most 2 slow rotations, so you can go to the dog. With experience, you can tell approximately how far the dog is by the amount of gain you need to get a certain level of signal. When you turn on the Garmin it may take a full couple of minutes to acquire the satellites. Howver, once that is done, you get a direct line and a relatively exact distance in yards or miles.

Both units will indicate whether the dog is standing or not.

The Garmin refreshes every five seconds so there is definitely a lapse between readings, especially if the dog is close. If the dog is out there it ain't gonna cover that much ground in five seconds to drastically change the direction.

The Garmin's range is somewhat restricted with the standard antenna, on the order of a mile and a half, or so while the Tracker's range with the standard antenna is about four miles or so. Both ranges depend on the terrain, with the tracker being a line of sight type device, so uneven terrain can dramatically attenuate the signal. As I understand it, heavy overstory
(deep woods cover) can affect the Garmin reception.

The battery life on the Tracker is far longer(several days) than the battery life of the Garmin. I guess the Garmin draws more power??

The collar unit on the Tracker, even the Striker, is smaller and lighter than the collar unit on the Garmin. Incidentally, I have both the Striker and the ultralite collar for my tracker. I think the ultralite collar gives a better location than the striker, but that is just my personal observation. I have never had a range limiting experience with either collar.

I have used both the Garmin and the Tracker for training and both work well. They are both light, easy to carry and if you remember to charge the Garmin and have a spare set of AA batteries handy for the receiver, it should last you as long as you might reasonably need.

In short the Garmin gives one a relatively precise location for their dog... both the direction and the range, as well as some techie stuff and things to play with. The Tracker is not quite as versatile. Both are simple to use.

The Garmin might give a new trainer more peace of mind than a Tracker, but they both can get the job done.

RayG

PS - The only folks I know that are concerned about which frequency to use, are houndsmen, where sqeezing the maximum range out of the unit is desirable. It was explained to me once, but I forget which frequency gives the best long range reception. For a bird dog, I don't think it matters much.

Atheist

Post by Atheist » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 am

From an EE point of view, a lower frequency signal will propagate farther. Whether or not that receiving antenna is as sensitive to that frequency is something that is specific to the device.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 am

Ray gave a good account of both, as he says either will get the job done if you learn to use them.

If I were going with telemetry (Tracker, WLM, Marshall, etc), I might look at the used marked. I have seen 2 collar Tracker Classics go for less the $200.00. If interested, check with Collar Clinic, you might pay a bit more for a used unit, but I understand they back them up,

Neil

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 am

One nice advantage to the Garmin is the fact it will alarm at you when the dog is standing (pointing). As long signal hasnt been lost.

With telemetry you have to say to yourself that "the dog has been gone to long better see if he is standing".

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm

So in your opinion which is better? Im really looking at the classic with ultralight collars.

reciever: maxima or classic

collar: stricker or ultralight

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Casper wrote:One nice advantage to the Garmin is the fact it will alarm at you when the dog is standing (pointing). As long signal hasnt been lost.

With telemetry you have to say to yourself that "the dog has been gone to long better see if he is standing".
That is not correct, the Tracker beeps faster when the dog is standing, Marshal slower, can't remember about WLM, but all have a behavior mode.

Folks, you need to ask yourselves why a slightly used $1,000.00 telemetry unit would sell for $200.00? A heavily used one sold for less that 50 bucks at the HoF silent auction.

Neil

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 am

Neil wrote:That is not correct, the Tracker beeps faster when the dog is standing, Marshal slower, can't remember about WLM, but all have a behavior mode.

Folks, you need to ask yourselves why a slightly used $1,000.00 telemetry unit would sell for $200.00? A heavily used one sold for less that 50 bucks at the HoF silent auction.

Neil
Sorry Neil not sure what your getting at that is not correct? If the dog is pointing, or stopped for a length of time, you still have to pull out your telemetry and turn it on to determine if the dog is stopped or not. With the Garmin, as long as the dog is still in contact range of the two units, the receiver will alarm when the dog has stopped for more than 5 seconds. This IMO is a big advantage to the hunter in getting to a dog pointing quicker. If quicker makes a difference :wink:

I'll tell you why a $1000 unit sells for $200. Its simple, they are getting to be dated. Why would the average hunter want to by telemetry for $600-800+ when they can save money and get a unit more functionable to what they do. You think the average hunter wants to buy something that takes some skill to operate or one that just tells them what is happening and where to go? What sucks for someone like me is just 2 years ago I spent $1000 on a nice Tracker. By the time I get a Garmin I will likely end up selling my Tracker down the road for pennies on the dollar.

Once the GPS dog systems get worked out and more advanced almost all telemetry systems will be sold cheap. Houndsman will switch to them and pointing dog owners will switch to them. The only ones that will still be using telemetry for a while longer are biologists and the like. Until GPS systems become advanced enough to out date telemetry all together.

I know my Satellite radio is a hundred times better than standard FM radio

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 pm

the Tracker beeps faster when the dog is standing, Marshal slower
Actually both my current Marshall and SupraLites beep faster when the dog is still...my old model Marshall transmitter beeped slow when the dog was on point - it was alot for my feeble mind to handle sometimes trying to remember which collar I had on the dog!! :lol:

As far as tracking/finding the dogs, there is no significant difference in the performance of the Classic and Maxima. The Maxima's just offer the versatility of being able to add/subtract other collars, with the Classic you are stuck with the 1 or 2 frequencies you get with your collar(s). Very, very good units, far from outdated.

Like I've said before, I use the Garmin for gee whiz and the Tracker to bring my dogs home. Someday the Garmin may/will catch up in performance (mainly range and battery life is the negatives currently) then selling a telemetry unit might become difficult.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Casper wrote: Sorry Neil not sure what your getting at that is not correct? If the dog is pointing, or stopped for a length of time, you still have to pull out your telemetry and turn it on to determine if the dog is stopped or not.
You can leave the telemetry on and even with the antenna collapsed and in the holster it will still signal point, with its much longer battery life between charges, there is no reason not to. You do have to pull it out and extend the antenna to find your dog.

I really believe that if the AFTCA, AKC and the NC had not needlessly held up the approval of the Garmin for a year, the telemetry companies would have developed an even better product, I think they still may, but it was unfair and cost us sponsorship dollars. As it is, they thought they could outlaw the Garmin and did not need to innovate.

Neil