Setter Run Off Issue

Quailtail

Setter Run Off Issue

Post by Quailtail » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:49 pm

I purchased a 1 year old setter male that handled well for the previous owner as I looked at the dog in the field prior to purchasing.

This was about a month ago. Had the dog out 2 times and both times he has taken off paying little or no attention to me in the field. Around the kennel, he acts as if I am his best friend. It appears he has figured out that he now can do what he wants.

The dog is bird crazy and is full of point. He is a hard hunter and I think he could go all day. He has a lot of good qualities. However, I have to get a handle on him. He has had little if any training on birds.

I need some advise on how to procede.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Setter Run Off Issue

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

e-collar
Start in the back yard with a long CC
Transition to the e-collar.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:30 pm

when you watched him handle well for the previous owner did the dog have an ecollar on? Have you been handling with an ecollar? What kind of commands will the dog respond to?

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 am

The previous owner did not have ecollar. does not own one. He raised this dog from a pup. I on the other hand do have an e collar and have had it on this dog. I have a fenced in area around my kennel and barn of about a 1/2 acre. I had a problem of him getting out. I put the ecollar on him and the instant he stuck his nose throug the fence I gave him a quick lick from the collar. That stopped that problem.

My concern is using the collar in the field. I don't want to ruin this dog with an electric collar. But as I said, he is no good to anyone the way he is now. I understand part of the problem is the change in ownership. I have to get through to him that he has to respond to commands. But, I do not want to take out too much out of the dog or mistreat him.

He will respond to here in the yard, but basicly when he wants to not at the command. other than that he knows no commands.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 am

An e-collar used properly will take nothing away from the dog, nor mistreat the dog. It is a simple tool just like a l o n g leash.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 am

Sharon wrote:An e-collar used properly will take nothing away from the dog, nor mistreat the dog. It is a simple tool just like a l o n g leash.
Excellent point. To add to that, the e collar is only effective when the dog knows what your telling it to do. If he's not been taught the whoa, here etc. commands with a checkcord he won't know what you want him to do just because he has an e collar on. If your wanting him to recall, get a checkcord and pick a command...ie: "here", "come", whistle command or whatever you want to use and enforce it with a checkcord first until he's reliable. You can then overlay the ecollar and then progress to the collar only. The other advantage the other owner had was a bond with the pup. You will form the same bond as you spend time with the pup. It's good that your cautious about the collar until you know how and when to use it but it's gets blamed for problems when it's misused.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 am

IMHO In all honesty, I think you are jumping the gun. You need to train the dog for you. In other words train the dog reinforce the commands he knows and do the corrections he knows in a calm manner. (Yard work to reinforce the commands he knows and the others you wish to have him know). He does not know you from Adam. You don't just let loose a 1 year old dog and expect him to listen to you when you have done no work with him. Just cause a dog is "started" does not means he is ready to listen to a stranger.

Also, an ecollar used properly is a great tool, just an extention of your voice, whistle and check cord.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Quail Tail,
Ruff Shooter has given you some good advise, bonding is especially important with Setters. Even after that depending on the line you purchased from,
your dog may very well work better with the T&B collar on than off. Some independent setters are very easy to handle with the T&B collar, because they quickly learn that the boss has long arms.
RGD/Dave

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 pm

He will respond to here in the yard, but basicly when he wants to not at the command. other than that he knows no commands.[/quote]

Keep him in the yard till' he is solid on recall. This quote leads me to believe that you keep calling him till' he comes to you. Don't call him unless you have a hold on the check cord and can make him come. If you need to catch him to put the check cord on, just use another method, like treats.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 pm

my neighbor had a similiar problem with his setter and fixed it with an e-collar.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm

First off Do not try and be a friend to your new dog...Be a leader not a dictator do yard work get the dog to cue off of you

The e collar can help BUT ONLY IF you work it as a cue ..to many people think the e collar is magic cure for run off etc...If the dog is self hunting the e collar isn't going to fix that ..it can control it but don't be fooled about it curing self hunting that comes with yard work and then applied in the field

I like to get the dogs to go with me cue to quarter in front of me then when I stop and stand still the dog is to come to me..after I work this with the command lead i go onto the check cord and then over lay the e collar then when they dog isn't going with me I can just give a tap on the e collar the same I would the check cord to have the dog bend and go with me in the field I will do zig zag patterns as the dog crosses the 10 and 2 position I will go change my direction if the dog doesn't start to go with me then i will simply give a light tap tap until the dog is going the same direction I am

again I start these patterns with the command lead and then the check cord ...then the ecollar so the dog responds to what they should be doing not react there is a huge difference

here is how I approach the e collar UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR

and here is another article I did LEADER OR FRIEND

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.