Newbie- seeking advice......

jlp8cornell

Newbie- seeking advice......

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

HI all: Let me give you a summary of my dog and what we have done.

I bought my GSP, Max, in the Fall of 2008. I have trained dogs before but only in obedience. I actually never thought about doing bird work until a friend and NAVHDA member/judge encouraged me to do so. Unfortunately, in January, Max injured his left stifle by falling hard on the ice while playing, bruising hos femur. He developed a cartilage disease and had to have surgery. He had surgery in March, I rehabbed him through the Spring and he was OK'd to resume semi-normal activity (off-leash) in August. A very tough time for us both (8month old GSP on crate rest- not fun).

Even though Max's activity was restricted I went to my first NAVHDA training day in April 2009 and soon after, joined the Southern Tier of NY chapter (an incredible group of people). I went to training days, volunteered at our test in May and soaked in as much knowledge as possible without being able to work my dog. I did bring him so he was exposed to the scene/birds/etc.

In September I decided to enter him in the NA test as he would soon be 16m and I figured what the heck, I might as well try. So, with 4 times in the field and not much training, we braved the test and did reasonably well considering we had no practice. He did not prize. He received a 89. He got 4's in Use of nose, water, and tracking. 3's in desire to work, cooperation and search. Pointing was another story. Nothing. He was so excited to be loose, that he tore around like a maniac. He did find all of the birds. He caught one and did bring it back to me, perfectly unharmed. I am sure his 3s in desire to work and cooperation were due to the fact that he did not pay much attention to me. Anyway, it was a wonderful experience and the judges loved him despite his lack of pointing. They said I have a very nice dog that just needs training and focus.

So, NAVHDA starts up again next month. I have a friend close by that can help me in between training days. I have been told to work a lot with launchers. Basically I am seeking any advice you all may have as to a starting point. I think I have a dog with tremendous potential. However, as a handler I am learning as well as this is all new to me. After doing tons of obedience, this is a refreshing change!

Thanks for any advice you may have. Jen and Max

Birddog3412

Re: Newbie- seeking advice......

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Birds in a launcher would be my sugestion too. Make sure he doesnt catch anymore birds. Pointing is something that is instictive, not developing it early may have set you back some, but it still may come on.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

jlp8cornell -

I second the advice on birds in launchers.

However, I think you should also do some yardwork to help you dog get the idea that stopping and standing is kinda what you want him to do.

I suggest that you get a Delmar Smith wonder lead, or a pigging string and do some heel/whoa drills with your dog, morning and evening. The heel/whoa drill will take perhaps five to ten minutes.

What you do is to put the lead on the dog so that the loop is up on the dog's neck, right behind the ears. First thing is that you say absolutely NOTHING during the entire drill. You have the end of the lead such that the loop is just barely open when the dog is right by your knee. Then, you step off and walk about 30 ft, and stop. If the dog surges ahead, or to the side or hangs back, the loop closes. The only place where the loop is loose is when the dog's head is right by your knee. Walk then stop, then walk then stop. Once the dog gets the idea you can start doing left and right turns. The idea is that the dog will key off your knee and your motion as to whether it should stop, start or turn. In other words it has to pay attention to what you are doing and go with you...or the loop closes.

In addition to the heel/whoa drill you can set the dog up and stroke it up. I prefer to do this on a narrow bench, but a table or the top of the dog's kennel or any other elevated spot works. Some folks use a barrel on its side. What you are doing is taking the dog's feet away from him and making him stand still. Once standing still, you gently stroke the dog along the back, up the back legs to the tip of the tail, etc. The dog learns to settle and to stand for what is essentially a veryformal and drawn out petting session. Once the dog is standing nicely, you can start pushing from the dog's butt. The dog will resist this and get more and more solid in its stance.

If you do both of these things each and every day, the dog will quickly learn that when it is paying attention to you, good things happen. It will also learn that when it is standing still, good things happen.

When you go to the field with your checkcord on the dog and a bird in a remote release trap, those yardwork lesson will help to induce the dog to stand at scent.

When you set up the birdwork session, place the trap so that the dog will come into the scent cone crosswind. This way, the dog will hit the scent suddenly. You will know when the dog scents the bird because it will tell you. Its head will come around, it will get intense...you will know. The instant the dog enters the scent cone, if it does not lock up on point...pop the trap and hold the dog back with the checkcord.

Patience and persistence.

RayG

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks!

I am an obedience junkie so Max knows how to heel very very well. I am working on "whoa" and since he knows "wait"/"stay", I think this will come easily. On walks/runs in the field he points. I think he just gets too excited when birds are around.

I will work more on his "whoa" in the coming weeks so we are ready for training day.